Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole is an easy dinner recipe the whole family will love. Tender potatoes are covered in melty cheese with a creamy beef layer.
Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole Ingredients
To make this ground beef hash brown casserole, you will need the following ingredients (print the recipe below for detailed amounts):
- Extra virgin olive oil: You can use canola or vegetable oil instead of olive oil.
- White onion
- Lean ground beef: Regular 80%, 20% beef will work fine, too, but it will drain for a bit longer.
- Hamburger seasoning: I used McCormick Grill Mates Hamburger Seasoning.
- Cream of mushroom soup: If you’re not a fan of cream of mushroom soup, you can use cream of chicken soup or cheddar cheese soup for an extra cheesy casserole.
- Cheddar cheese: Freshly shredded cheese melts better than bagged shredded cheese.
- Frozen hashbrowns: I used Ore-Ida Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes.
- Salt and pepper
Special Tools Needed
You will need the following supplies:
How to Make Ground Beef Casserole with Hash Browns
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the chopped onion until it is translucent or about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and brown it, then add the hamburger seasoning. Drain the beef and onion mixture, and return it to the skillet.
- Mix in the cream of mushroom soup, then pour the ground beef mixture into a 13×9 (or 3 quarts) casserole dish and sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over it.
- Toss the hash browns with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Spread them over the cheese
- Bake the casserole for 50-55 minutes or until the hash browns are soft and starting to brown.
- Sprinkle the last 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Refrigerator: Let the hamburger casserole cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container or cover the whole casserole with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat at 350°F for 30 minutes or until the inside of the casserole reaches 165°F.
Freezer: Let the hamburger hashbrown casserole cool to room temperature, then store it in an airtight container or cover the whole casserole with plastic wrap and foil. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and reheat at 350° for 30 minutes or until the inside of the casserole reaches 165°F.
- Make sure the beef is completely cooked before pouring it into the casserole dish.
- You can leave out the cream of mushroom soup, but the beef may be dry.
- Feel free to add or omit as much cheese as you wish. I think this is a great dish when it has a lot of cheese.
- Garnish with parsley or green onion to add some color and texture.
- Bake the cheese on the casserole for 10 minutes for crispier cheese, if desired.
You can garnish with green onions and serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt. I love serving cheesy ground beef recipes with a corn side dish such as corn avocado salad or homemade creamed corn. A strawberry salad is a nice sweet compliment to a savory dish.
Monday 29th of May 2023
Great recipe , we made it and everyone loved it. Will definitely make it again. Go by the direction , can't go wrong.