Doritos Chicken Casserole is a crunchy and creamy chicken dinner with nacho cheese flavor. Tortilla chips elevate this Mexican recipe.
This dish can serve up to 8, so no need to make side dishes. They will definitely want seconds after they try this flavorful chicken recipe.
This dish is a great way to use up those chip crumbs that are left in the bottom of the bag, or chips that have gone stale. You can also use a lot of pantry staples for this dish, making it a super easy dinner to throw together.
Doritos Casserole Ingredients
To make this Doritos casserole recipe, you will need these ingredients from the grocery store (see the recipe below for exact amounts and instructions):
- Salted butter or cooking oil
- Yellow onion: you can also use a white onion
- Doritos: I used Simply Doritos, nacho cheese flavor. Any nacho cheese flavored chip would work or you can branch out and try a different flavor all together.
- Chicken: pre-cook your chicken or use meat from a rotisserie chicken
- Cream of chicken soup: you can substitute with cream of mushroom or cream of celery for a different flavor
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles: Use hot or mild depending on your preference. Canned hot green chile is not very spicy.
- Sour cream
- Frozen sweet corn: canned corn would also work
- Cheddar cheese: I prefer to avoid pre-shredded cheese since it contains additives that prevent it from melting smoothly. Orange/yellow cheese is also fine to use.
- Chili powder: use hot or mild depending on your preference
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Roma tomato
- Green onions: for toppings you can really cater to your preferences. Use any variety of tomato or onion. Add black olives, shredded lettuce, more cheese, salsa, or whatever you prefer.
How to Make Doritos Chicken Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly butter or spray a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add in the diced onions and sauté until translucent and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Take half of the tortilla chips and crush them into large pieces. Add the pieces to the bottom of your baking dish.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cooked chicken, cooked onions, cream of chicken soup, diced tomatoes with green chiles, sour cream, sweet corn, 1 cup of the shredded white cheddar cheese, cumin, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper, and oregano.
Add the mixture on top of the chips in the baking dish.
Top with the rest of the tortilla chips followed by the remaining 1 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese.
Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
Top with diced tomato and green onions before serving.
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Note that the chips will begin to absorb the liquid in the casserole and will not be as crisp as they are when the casserole is fresh.
Can I Make This Ahead and Freeze It?
I do not recommend freezing this casserole as I’m afraid it would change the texture too much and become a soggy mess.
What Other Variations Can I Make?
Try switching it up by using ground beef instead of shredded chicken or swap out the cheese chips for another flavor. Add in any of your favorite veggies like black olives, peppers, or black beans. This is a versatile casserole that can be easily adapted to your family’s tastes.