Chicken Divan is a really easy chicken and broccoli casserole recipe that your whole family will love. This easy dinner recipe is layers of broccoli, chicken, sauce, cheese and bread crumbs.
I have seen Chicken Divan made many different ways, but this is the way my mom makes it. It is my all time favorite casserole dish.
What You Need for Chicken Divan
To make chicken divan, you will need a large pot and a baking dish. I like to use a glass or ceramic casserole dish. You will need the following ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts
2 celery stalks
1 parsley bunch
1 medium crown of broccoli
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ C mayonnaise
½ tsp curry powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 C grated cheddar cheese
½ C bread crumbs
1 T butter, melted
How to Make Chicken Divan
You will make chicken divan in parts. First you will cook the chicken in a large pot of water with the vegetables. Then you will make the sauce. Finally you will layer all of the ingredients and bake in the oven. Scroll down to print the chicken divan recipe.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Quarter the onion, carrot, and celery. Add vegetables and handful of parsley to a large pot of salted water. Add chicken and simmer for 1 hour.
Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces and add to a buttered casserole dish.
Cut up the chicken breast and place over the broccoli. [If you have any leftover chicken, you can use it for this Cheesy English Muffin Pizzas with Chicken recipe.]
To make the sauce, mix the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, curry, and lemon juice. Cover casserole with sauce.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top to your liking. Add the bread crumbs on top.
Bake for 30 minutes. If you want the bread crumbs to be more browned, you can stick under the broiler for an additional minute.
Tips for Chicken Divan
- Use fresh broccoli for this recipe and not frozen.
- Serve it over rice or with a side of potatoes to make it go farther and feed more people
- You can add milk to the sauce to make it creamier.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 parsley bunch
- 1 medium crown of broccoli
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ C mayonnaise
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 C grated cheddar cheese
- ½ C bread crumbs
- 1 T butter melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Quarter the onion, carrot, and celery. Add vegetables and handful of parsley to a large pot of salted water. Add chicken and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces and add to a buttered casserole dish.
- Cut up the chicken breast and place over the broccoli.
- To make the sauce, mix the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, curry, and lemon juice.
- Cover casserole with sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top to your liking.
- Add the bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Do I Have to Use Curry Powder in Chicken Divan?
I think that the curry powder is what makes this dish. If you are not a big curry fan, do not worry. The curry is mild and not overpowering. It adds just the right amount of flavor. Curry powder also has amazing health benefits. However, I have seen other recipes use Parmesan cheese or dry mustard in place of curry powder.
What Do I Serve with Chicken Divan?
This casserole dish includes everything you need for a hearty meal, but if you want to go farther, you can serve it with rice or a side dish. Side dishes to serve with chicken divan could be mashed potatoes or a salad.