Air Fryer Beer Battered Fish and Chips are a tasty twist on the classic dish from across the pond. White fish is fried and served with homemade french fries.
Frying fish in beer batter is next level. Serve with malt vinegar, tartar sauce and lemon wedges for a delicious fish dinner.
Air frying your fish lets you get that crisp texture without all the oil. No mess and no having to let the fish dry on a paper towel.
If you live in the Midwest, you may know that you can find an amazing fish fry every Friday at most restaurants. In other parts of the country, fish fries happen less frequently, mainly during Lent between Ash Wednesday and Easter.
Air Fryer Fish and Chips Ingredients
To make this classic air fried beer battered fish recipe, you will need these ingredients from the grocery store (see the recipe below for exact amounts and instructions):
- White fish: You can use most kinds of white fish for this recipe. Halibut, haddock and cod fillets all work great for air fried beer battered fish and chips.
- Beer: Feel free to spice things up with different kinds of beer. I prefer a lager for flavor and affordability, but you can use a porter as well. Be aware that a porter is a darker beer and so may change the color of the batter, making the final result darker.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Salt and Pepper
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Malt Vinegar
- Tartar Sauce
- Lemon Wedges
How to Make Thick Cut Fries in an Air Fryer
You will want to make the chips first, so that the air fryer fish is hot and crispy when you serve it. Chips are known in America as thick cut french fries or steak fries. If you don’t like fries, you can make onion rings.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Peel and cut the potatoes lengthwise into thick slices that are about 1/2 inch thick. Pat them dry.
- Place the potato slices into a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Toss to combine. Put the fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Do not overcrowd your basket.
- Cook the potatoes in the air fryer for 7-10 minutes, toss the fries and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes (or until the fries have reached your desired crispness). I do not use an oil spray, but you can if you are worried about the food sticking to the air fryer.
How to Make Beer Battered Fish in an Air Fryer
- Cut the white fish into fillets that are about 4 inches each.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup all purpose flour with the cornstarch, baking soda, egg, and beer. In another bowl, combine the remaining flour with the salt, black pepper, old bay seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Dip each filet of white fish first into the flour mixture so that they are all coated. Then use tongs or your fingers to dip each filet into the beer batter, gently shaking off any excess batter, and then into the flour mixture again, making sure to evenly coat each side.
- Finally, recoat the filet in the beer batter and place it on a piece of greased aluminum foil, cut to fit into your air basket. Place the fish in the air fryer basket. Again, I did not use oil spray but you can. Depending on the size of your fish and your air fryer, you may need to cook the fish in multiple batches.
- Air fry the breaded fish in the air fryer for 5-7 minutes before flipping and cooking an additional 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. I recommend reheating in the air fryer to keep the fish and chips nice and crispy.
Can I Air Fry Frozen Fish Fillets?
Yes, you can use frozen fish. Make sure your fish is cut into fillets before you freeze them, otherwise you may not be able to cut them to size. You will need to increase the time to at least 12 minutes.
What to Serve with Fish and Chips
These are best served fresh out of the air fryer while they are still crispy and hot. Here are some easy side dish recipes that can be whipped up and ready to go.
- Coleslaw – This homemade coleslaw with red cabbage is the perfect side dish for fried fish. Coleslaw also has vinegar, which really pairs nicely with fish.
- Yum Yum Sauce – This dipping sauce is so delicious, and a fun alternative for dipping your fries or fish.
- Ranch Pickles – These flavored pickles are a simple side dish that goes perfect with fish.