Make this Quick and Easy Yum Yum Sauce at home to pair with your favorite Asian dishes and appetizers. It goes great with egg rolls, shrimp, rice, steak and vegetables.
This sauce can be whipped up in 5 minutes. It is a great dip or condiment that goes with Japanese dish.
You can probably find all of the ingredients for this recipe already in your pantry and refrigerator. Go to the recipe below for detailed amounts and instructions.
- Mayonnaise: you can probably use light mayo, but I would stick to using regular mayonnaise
- Powdered Sugar: also known as confectioners sugar
- Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper: a little bit of spice goes a long way
How to Make Yum Yum Sauce
To make this Asian sauce, you only need to follow these 2 step instructions:
- Mix all ingredients. In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, ketchup, powdered sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Thin out with water. Add water and mix well.
That’s it! Serve with your favorite appetizer or dish and enjoy!
Tips and Tools
- The ketchup turns it a nice pink color that will be familiar to you if you’ve seen it before.
- If you like a less creamy sauce, you can add more water. Start with this recipe and see how you like it. Make adjustments based on your tastes.
- The only kitchen tools you need to make Yum Yum Sauce are a large mixing bowl and a whisk. If you wish to save some for later, store in an air tight container (affiliate link) in the refrigerator.
If you’ve ever been to a hibachi restaurant or Japanese steakhouse, like Benihana, then you probably know what Yum Yum Sauce is. It is that delicious sauce that goes good with just about everything. It is a dairy based sauce mixed with ketchup and spices that is great for dipping.
There are many versions to this Japanese sauce recipe, but I’ve started with a basic recipe that isn’t too spicy. You can always add more spice if that is your flavor. If you like spicy foods, I would double the spices for a homemade Yum Yum sauce that delivers a real kick.
You can use it as a shrimp dip, or as a sauce for your chicken. So good, it’s addicting.
You can put it on your rice dish and it tastes amazing with steak and vegetables too!
I bet it would taste really good with the following recipes:
This sauce should remain good for up to a week in the refrigerator if stored in a sealed container. Do not freeze this sauce.