Air Fryer Onion Rings are really tasty and made without the oil and grease of deep frying. Serve with dipping sauce that is a copycat version of Outback Steakhouse blooming onion sauce.
Have you ever had the perfect fast food style onion ring that’s crispy on the outside and perfectly juicy and soft on the inside? Taking a classic treat like onion rings to a new level is all about great texture and amazing flavor. This homemade Air Fried Onion Rings recipe packs a punch of flavor using playfully complex Outback Steakhouse Blooming Onion sauce!
Panko breadcrumbs offer the perfect crunchy bite. Instead of an egg mixture, sweet onion is dipped in a batter of flour and milk.
Making onion rings in the air fryer makes is far superior to frozen onion rings. The air fryer is the perfect tool to make these. The hot air circulates around the onion rings, cooking them evenly and quickly. The result is a crispy, golden-brown exterior with a juicy interior. Enjoy them with a steak dinner or during a football party.
Air Fryer Onion Rings Ingredients
To make this air fryer appetizer recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- Sweet onions: yellow onions can be used in a pinch, but sweet onions have the best flavor.
- Panko bread crumbs
- Garlic powder: you can also use onion powder.
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
How to Make Onion Rings in an Air Fryer
- Peel the outer layer of the onions. Cut the onions in ½ inch and separate into rings.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, milk, paprika, half of the salt, and half of the garlic powder. Mix well so the mixture is smooth free of clumps.
- In another medium sized bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs, remaining salt, and remaining garlic powder. Mix well.
- Take an onion ring and dip into the milk and flour mixture.
- Using just one hand take the ring out and with the other dry hand sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over an empty bowl until fully covered and then place onto the air fryer basket. You can use an olive oil cooking spray if you are concerned about the rings sticking.
- Air fry the breaded onion rings at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. (The time may vary depending on your air fryer.)
- For the dipping sauce, mix the ketchup, horseradish, mayonnaise, salt, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Serve this air fryer recipe with the dipping sauce and enjoy!
Onion rings will keep in a refrigerator for up to 3 days. I recommend putting them in the broiler to crisp them up again before serving leftovers.
- When it comes to making the best onion rings in an air fryer, you want to make sure that you use panko bread crumbs. Panko is a type of Japanese-style breadcrumb that is made from white bread without the crusts. It has a light and airy texture that helps create a crunchy coating for your onion rings.
- Use tongs to remove the rings from the air fryer so you do not burn your fingers.
- You may need to cook your onion rings in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
Onions should be cut about half an inch thick, so they are large enough to get a good coating of batter on them.
Sweet onions are best for onion rings. Varieties include Vidalia, Walla Walla, and Mauis.