Hazelnut White Hot Chocolate is a delicious homemade hot cocoa recipe with sweet, frothy milk and toasted hazelnuts. Top with whipped cream and cinnamon for a tasty beverage.
If you love hot chocolate recipes, try my Caramel Rumchata Hot Chocolate, Mexican Hot Chocolate, or Candied Bacon Hot Chocolate. If you prefer hot chocolate with marshmallows, you can make these cute Marshmallow Stir Sticks.
Hazelnut White Hot Chocolate Ingredients
To make this white hot cocoa, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Whole milk: you can use half and half, or 2% milk as a substitute. I tend to use a combination of whole milk and half and half, but you can adjust the type of milk depending on the amount of creaminess that you prefer.
- White chocolate bars or chips: I have found that the white chocolate bars are much easier to melt than white chocolate chips. Chocolate chips tend to have additives that help keep their shape. This works great for cookies, but it makes it more difficult to melt the chips without them separating from the milk mixture.
- Hazelnut coffee creamer: I used a generic hazelnut coffee creamer from the grocery store. It is a popular enough flavor that you shouldn’t have any problems finding this particular flavor.
- Brown sugar
- Lemon Juice: The lemon juice will not make your hot chocolate taste like lemon. White chocolate tends to be very sweet. The lemon was added in to help cut through the sweetness and brighten the flavor. The lemon juice can be fresh or from concentrate.
- Vanilla Extract
- Toasted Hazelnuts, optional for garnish
How to Make Hazelnut Hot Chocolate with White Chocolate
- Heat the milk. Whisk milk, hazelnut coffee creamer, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Stir the mixture occasionally until the milk is heated through and becomes frothy, about 7-10 minutes. Do not boil.
- Melt the chocolate. Add the white chocolate while whisking. Continue whisking until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add rest of ingredients. Take off heat and add in the cinnamon, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Serve and garnish with whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and toasted hazelnuts.
Store your Hazelnut White Hot Chocolate in the refrigerator for up to four days. Do not freeze.
To toast hazelnuts, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir/Move the hazelnuts around occasionally so that they toast on all sides. Once done, use a clean kitchen towel to wrap the nuts and let steam for 1 minute. You can also use the towel to rub off some of the flaky shells. You can leave the rest of the shells.
Raw hazelnuts can be quite pricey and are a completely optional addition to this hot cocoa. You get all the hazelnut flavor you need from the creamer.
Besides the delicious flavor of hazelnut, hazelnuts also have a lot of health benefits. They have a lot of nutrients, healthy fats, and antioxidants, as most nuts do. They also may help protect the heart, decrease cancer rates, decrease inflammation, and lower blood sugar levels.