Green Beans Almondine (or amandine) is a traditional holiday side dish recipe perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Green beans are sautéd with toasted almonds to impart that toasty, subtly nutty flavor.
Green Bean Almondine Ingredients
To make this green bean side dish recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Green beans: fresh is best for this recipe, I would not use canned green beans
- Raw almonds: you can buy them pre-sliced, usually in the baking aisle
- Unsalted butter
- Lemon wedge
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Green Beans with Toasted Almonds
- Cook the green beans. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes or until al dente. Drain when finished.
- Toast the almonds. While the water is boiling, toast the almonds in a dry frying pan for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Remove the almonds from the pan and set aside.
- Add ingredients together and cook. Melt butter in a frying pan. Add green beans and toss with the melted butter. Add most of the almonds, reserving some for garnish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss the mixture together and squeeze with lemon wedge. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. Plate the green beans and top with additional almonds.
- Salted water really helps flavor the green beans before they even hit the pan. It really makes a difference in the flavor.
- The beans should be cooked until they are just tender, they should still be what I call “squeaky beans.” They squeak a little when you eat them as they are tender yet crisp.
- You can adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
- Lemon is optional, add just enough to give a vibrant citrus flavor. The beans shouldn’t taste prominently like lemon. It is just a hint of freshness in the background.
- This dish reheats really well, I prefer to reheat on the stovetop.
What to Serve with Green Beans Almondine
Green beans are a classic side dish because they are so versatile. You can serve with almost any meat, fish, or chicken dish. Here are some ideas of what to serve with this green bean almondine recipe.
Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken – This healthy chicken recipe is so flavorful and juicy. Lemons compliment the chicken and can even be served on the side to squeeze on the string beans.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs – Cook seasoned chicken thighs with the skin on to lock in the moisture and flavor. Baking chicken in the oven is so easy and pairs perfectly with green beans with almonds.
Instant Pot Pot Roast – This buttery pot roast is done right in the Instant Pot. It turns out tender and juicy. It is cooked with mushrooms, onion and radishes – a great compliment to this green bean side dish recipe.
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes – Green beans and potatoes are the classic side dish pairings.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. After a few days, the beans start to lose their crispness.