Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie is a savory casserole dish made with mashed sweet potatoes, ground beef, and vegetables.
This traditional Americanized dish is the ultimate comfort food. Sweet potatoes gives it a seasonal feel, perfect for the colder months. This side dish recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
To make this mashed potato casserole recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- sweet potatoes
- mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- ground beef
- diced carrots
- yellow onion
- ground cumin
- low sodium chicken broth
- garlic cloves
- tomato paste
- frozen peas
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil six cups of water over high heat then add the sweep potatoes and boil for 10 minutes or until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them in a large bowl then add 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the milk, butter, ½ teaspoon of the salt and ½ teaspoon of the pepper. Stir to combine and set aside for later.
- Add the beef, carrots, onion, cumin, paprika, remaining salt and pepper to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Drain out any excess grease from the pan then add the chicken broth, garlic and tomato paste and stir and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the peas and stir once again to combine then pour the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking pan or a large oval pan.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture on top and sprinkle around the remaining half cup of cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble on top and the edges have started to turn a light brown color.
- Let it cool for five minutes before serving with freshly chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
What Type of Sweet Potatoes Should I Use?
There are white and purple sweet potatoes, as well as the deep orange sweet potatoes that are most commonly used in the kitchen. I used the orange sweet potatoes.
Do I Have to Add Peas?
While peas are traditional in shepherd’s pie, you can omit them if you so choose.
This sweet potato shepherd’s pie can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Wondering what to serve with Shepherd’s Pie? It can feel like a main dish because it has meat in it, but it makes a great side dish. Here are some delicious recipes to pair it with.
- Green Beans Almondine
- Irish Soda Bread
- Green Pea Salad
- Creamed Corn
- Instant Pot Beets
- Grape Salad
- Tomato Salad with Ricotta