Heirloom Tomato Salad with radish and ricotta is a wonderful cold side dish that is flavorful and peppery. Topped with olive oil and balsamic, this side salad not only tastes amazing but it looks beautiful!
This post contains affiliate links.
Heirloom Tomato Salad Ingredients
To make this side salad recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts and directions):
- Heirloom tomato: these tomatoes can be a variety of colors – red, reddish brown, green, orange, yellow – and you can choose whichever color you like. These tomatoes are large and have a unique shape.
- Watermelon radish: this radish is larger than your regular radish. It is light green on the outside and purple on the inside. It may look like a watermelon, but it does not taste like one. It has a slightly sweet and peppery flavor.
- Ricotta cheese: make sure you get a quality ricotta cheese for this recipe. You don’t want your ricotta to be runny.
- Himalayan salt
- Olive oil: or avocado oil
- Balsamic vinegar: or balsamic glaze
- Fresh micro greens
I recommend buying more than 1 tomato. If you have any leftovers, you can make this Ricotta and Tomato Savory Hand Pie recipe.
How to Make Tomato Salad
This salad is so easy to make and minimal prep time is needed. It’s a cold salad, so no need to wait for it to cook.
- Prepare the vegetables. Wash the tomato and radish and dry before slicing. You’ll want slightly thicker slices for the tomato and thin slices for the radish.
- Layer the ingredients. Alternate layers of the fresh tomato and ricotta cheese, ending with the ricotta on top. Lay in the watermelon radish slices.
- Garnish. Add the salt to preference and drizzle on the oil and balsamic. Sprinkle with fresh micro greens.
Tips for Tomato Salad
- As long as your ricotta isn’t too watery you can make this ahead of time and it can sit, covered and chilled, for a few hours before serving.
- You can remove excess liquid in the ricotta by straining it through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag for a half hour or so before making this recipe.
- Serve right away. Do not store in the fridge or freezer.