Oreo Spiders are an easy and fun Halloween treat to make with the whole family! Put those pantry supplies to good use and make them for your next party.
Oreo Spiders are a great and fun treat to make with your kids! My kids are great at helping me break the pretzels in half, dip them in chocolate and decorate the Reese’s pieces for the eyes. Older kids can also help with melting and stirring the chocolate and dipping the decorated spiders’ legs in the chocolate.
Oreo Spider Cookies Ingredients
To make this Halloween cookie recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Peanut Butter Oreos: You can also use regular Oreos or dark chocolate Oreos if you wish. Any Oreos, except thin Oreos, will work well for this recipe.
- Dark chocolate chips: You can also use milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips instead.
- Pretzel sticks: You can use pieces of regular pretzels if you wish but it makes it a little bit harder.
- Reese’s pieces: Alternatively you can use M&Ms or candy eyes.
How to Make Oreo Spiders
- Place the Oreos on a large, parchment lined baking sheet.
- Pour the dark chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 45 seconds. Stir the chocolate well and then reheat for 10-15 seconds, as necessary, stirring after each heating until the chocolate is all melted.
- Dip the ends of four pretzel stick halves in the chocolate and then press gently into the side of one Oreo.
- Repeat with four more halves for the other side of the Oreo, creating the spider body with 8 legs.
- Use the pretzel stick halves and melted chocolate to attach legs to each Oreo, creating 24 spiders.
- Use a toothpick to spread melted chocolate onto the cut side of two matching Reese’s pieces halves and place them, cut side down, onto the top of the Oreos to create the spider eyes.
- Repeat until each of the spiders has two eyes.
- At this point the legs should have had time to set firmly into the Oreos. If they are not yet set, you can place them in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes until set.
- Check that the chocolate is still melted and reheat in 10-15 second increments until melted, if necessary.
- Coat the bottom of the pretzels on each side of each spider’s legs into the melted chocolate, creating the “feet” of the spider and then replace them on the baking sheet.
- Allow the spiders to cool until set, about 30 minutes at room temperature or 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
These Oreo Spiders should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks. Please be aware that the pretzels may get soft or stale, depending on how much they are exposed to frosting and/or air. I don’t recommend freezing these cookies but they can be refrigerated if you wish. Be aware that refrigerating them may cause the pretzels to go soft or stale more quickly.
More Fun Halloween Recipes
- Graveyard Halloween Brownies
- Witch Hat Cookies
- Ghost Cupcakes
- Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Mummy Pops
- Halloween Bark