These adorable Ghost Cupcakes are fun to make and delicious to eat. Enjoy a fun family activity making these cupcakes together.
Ghost Cupcakes Ingredients
To make this Halloween cupcake recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Chocolate cake mix: You can use any chocolate cake mix for this recipe. You can change the cupcake flavor that makes the base. Try a white cake with orange food coloring to give an even stronger Halloween feel to the cupcakes.
- Large eggs
- Chocolate milk: You can use regular milk or even water for a less chocolatey result.
- Vegetable oil: You can substitute a neutral flavored oil, such as avocado oil or coconut oil, or melted butter instead.
- Marshmallows: You can omit these but then you will need to put more frosting on each cupcake.
- Whipped white frosting: You can make your own frosting if you prefer or use another white frosting. If you use vanilla or cream cheese frosting your ghosts will not be as bright white but more of an off white color.
- Mini M&Ms: You can substitute candy eyes if you wish, using small or large candy eyes, or even sprinkles. If you’d like to add a bit of expression to the cupcakes, you can match the mini M&Ms with a regular M&M to make the characteristic ghost “O” look.
How to Make Ghost Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two cupcake tins with black cupcake liners.
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs, chocolate milk and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl until completely combined, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally with a spatula.
- Scoop the cupcake batter into the prepared cupcake tins, filling each liner about ⅔ full with batter. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- To decorate the cupcakes, place one half of a marshmallow on the middle of the top of each cupcake.
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag prepared with a 2A Wilton tip.
- Pipe the frosting around the bottom of the marshmallow and then gradually move inward creating an ice cream type spiral of frosting on the cupcake.
- Place two brown mini M&Ms on the front of the spiral as eyes.
- Repeat with each cupcake until they are all decorated.
These Ghost Cupcakes should be stored, loosely covered, at room temperature for 2-4 days. They can last for up to 1 week before being frosted if you wish. If you refrigerate these cupcakes they will last for 3-5 days but they may dry out faster than if kept at room temperature.
While a piping bag and tip make these cupcakes easier to decorate, you can make a homemade one with little trouble. Use a quart sized ziploc bag, preferably freezer quality, and cut off the corner, creating a hole. Place the frosting in the bag, twist the top closed and squeeze the frosting gently out of the cut corner, in a spiraling motion to create the ghost. You can place the frosting in bit by bit if you find it difficult to use a bag completely full of frosting.