A twist on a traditional sloppy joe, buffalo chicken sloppy joes are made with lean ground chicken and smothered in spicy sauce. Topped with blue cheese dressing, crumbled blue cheese and fresh green onion, these sandwiches are quick, easy and delicious.
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes Ingredients
To make this spicy sloppy joes recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- yellow onion
- lean ground chicken
- corn starch
- hot sauce: such as Franks Red Hot or Cholula, or you can substitute buffalo sauce
- hamburger buns
- green onion
- crumbled blue cheese
- blue cheese dressing
How to Make Sloppy Joes with Chicken
Chicken sloppy joes are really easy to make. You will need a skillet and a small bowl.
- Saute onion and garlic. Using a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Cook the chicken. Add the chicken and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk the corn starch with 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce and add to the chicken. Stir to combine. Add remaining sauce and heat while stirring until the chicken is coated and sauce has slightly thickened. If it isn’t saucy enough for your liking add additional sauce until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Assemble the sloppy buffalo joes. Scoop onto buns and top with bleu cheese dressing, crumbled bleu cheese and green onion.
Sloppy Joe Variations
- Buttered buns: While chicken is cooking, lightly butter the buns and place under the broiler or face down on a hot skillet until lightly toasted.
- Ground turkey: Lean ground turkey can be used in place of chicken
- Shredded chicken: 1 pound of cooked, shredded chicken
- Milder cheese: use Monterey Jack instead
- Milder dressing: use Ranch dressing instead
- Buffalo wing sauce instead of hot sauce
What to Serve with Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are a great idea for family dinner night or summer barbecues. Serve them up fries and your favorite side dish. Here are some of my favorite side dishes for serving with sloppy joes: Baked Mac and Cheese, Watermelon Salad, Corn Salad, and Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing.