A twist on a traditional sloppy joe, buffalo chicken sloppy joes are made with lean ground chicken and smothered in spicy sauce. Topped with blue cheese dressing, crumbled blue cheese and fresh green onion, these sandwiches are quick, easy and delicious.
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes Ingredients
To make this spicy sloppy joes recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- yellow onion
- lean ground chicken
- corn starch
- hot sauce
- hamburger buns
- green onion
- crumbled blue cheese
- blue cheese dressing
How to Make Sloppy Joes with Chicken
Chicken sloppy joes are really easy to make. You will need a skillet and a small bowl.
- Saute onion and garlic. Using a 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Cook the chicken. Add the chicken and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk the corn starch with 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce and add to the chicken. Stir to combine. Add remaining hot sauce and heat while stirring until the chicken is coated and sauce has slightly thickened. If it isn’t saucy enough for your liking add additional sauce until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Assemble the sloppy buffalo joes. Scoop onto buns and top with blue cheese dressing, crumbled blue cheese and green onion.
Sloppy Joe Variations
- Buttered buns: While chicken is cooking, lightly butter the hamburger buns and place under the broiler or face down on a hot skillet until lightly toasted.
- Ground turkey: Lean ground turkey can be used in place of chicken
- Shredded chicken: 1 pound of cooked, shredded chicken in place of ground chicken
- Milder cheese: Monterey Jack cheese in place of blue cheese
- Milder dressing: Ranch dressing in place of blue cheese dressing
What to Serve with Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are a great idea for family dinner night or summer barbecues. Serve them up fries and your favorite side dish. Here are some of my favorite side dishes for serving with sloppy joes: Baked Mac and Cheese, Watermelon Salad, Corn Salad, and Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing.