Caramel Apple Snickers Salad is a classic sweet treat that is more of a dessert than a salad. Pudding and whipped topping are mixed in this candy bar apple salad drizzled with caramel.
Dessert or side dish, it’s up to you! Growing up in the Midwest, we ate all kinds of funny things as side dishes – jello, marshmallow fluff salad, and this snickers salad. It is great for bringing to potlucks, too.
Snicker Salad Ingredients
To make this dessert salad recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- white chocolate instant pudding
- whole milk
- whipped topping
- Snickers candy bars
- granny smith apples
- Caramel Drizzle
- Lemon juice (optional)
How to Make Caramel Apple Snickers Salad
Snickers salad is as easy as mix and serve.
- Make the whipped topping mix. In a large bowl, whisk together the white chocolate instant pudding and cold milk until the mixture begins to thicken. Note: do not make the pudding according to the box directions. You are just using the pudding mix.
- Mix in candy bars and apples. Stir in the whipped topping mix, snickers and apples until well combined.
- Add more candy and apples on top. Mix the reserve apple pieces with lemon juice for the topping. Arrange the reserved apple slices, snickers and caramel drizzle on top of the salad.
- Chill the salad. Refrigerate about an hour before serving for best results.
Preventing Apples From Browning
To prevent your apples from turning brown, get them coated in the pudding and whipped topping mixture immediately after they are cut. If you plan to reserve some apple pieces for the top garnish, be sure to coat them in lemon juice.
If you are making this far in advance, I would suggest skipping the apple garnish and just using snickers and caramel for the topping.
This is the classic recipe, but if you want to change things up here are a few things you can try.
- Pudding Flavor: Try vanilla, french vanilla, cheesecake or chocolate.
- Candy Bar: Try Twix, Milky Way or chocolate covered caramels.
- Toppings: Add chopped peanuts or chocolate drizzle to the top.
What are the Best Apples to Use?
I highly recommend Granny Smith for this recipe. Not only does the tart flavor go great with the caramel, chocolate and creamy pudding but the beautiful green color really pops and makes it really stand out on the dessert table!
If Granny Smith apples are not an option, you can try Golden Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Jonagold or Cortland.
Make It Healthier
You can lower the calorie count of this (just a bit!) by using Sugar Free Cool Whip, skim milk and sugar free caramel drizzle. You can also cut back on the amount of Snickers and add an extra apple.
Snicker Apple Salad Without Pudding
You can also make this salad without pudding. If you don’t have any on hand, just use the cool whip and decrease the amount of snickers and apples you add. Leaving out the pudding will decrease the “fluff” by about a cup, so using one apple and about 4 snicker bars would give you a good ratio.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. After that, it tends to get runny and the apples become mushy. I find this recipe is best enjoyed the day it is made. Although it is cool whip based, I would not recommend freezing this recipe because of the addition of the pudding and acidity from the apples.