Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake for two is a decadent dessert perfect for Valentine’s Day or date night. This lava cake recipe get baked perfectly in a pressure cooker every time!
The Instant Pot takes all the guess work out of baking a cake. Serve at the end of a romantic meal for two of Bruschetta Chicken and Italian Cheese Rolls.
This post contains affiliate links.
Instant Pot Lava Cake Ingredients
To make Instant Pot Lava Cakes, you will need the following ingredients from the grocery store (see the recipe below for exact amounts and instructions):
- Chocolate: Any kind of chocolate can be used in this recipe. I like using dark chocolate, but use whatever you have on hand.
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- Instant espresso powder, optional
- Garnishes: powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream, and/or fresh berries
Tools You Need for This Recipe
Instant Pot – This recipe uses a 6 quart Instant Pot. You should not have to adjust the cooking times if you have a different size, but refer to your manual.
The Instant Pot Duo is simple and easy to use. This 7-in-1 appliance can pressure cook, slow cooker, steam, sauté & more.
Instant Pot Trivet – Your Instant Pot should have come with a trivet, but you need one, you can get it here.
Ramekins – These 6 oz. ramekins are the perfect size for fitting 2 cakes in the Instant Pot at the same time.
How to Make Lava Cakes in an Instant Pot
- Prepare the ramekins. Spray two 6-oz ramekins with nonstick baking spray.
- Make the batter. Add the butter and chocolate to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Whisk the butter and chocolate together until combined. If the chocolate has not fully melted, microwave it for an additional 30 seconds. Whisk the egg and egg yolk into the butter and chocolate mixture. Add the powdered sugar, flour, vanilla, salt, and espresso powder. Whisk to combine. Divide the batter between the ramekins.
- Bake the cakes in the Instant Pot. Insert the trivet into the Instant Pot. Add just enough water so that the water line reaches the height of the trivet (in a 6-Qt. Instant Pot, it is about 1 ¾ cups). Place the ramekins on top of the trivet. Close the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook for 11 minutes with Manual release. When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, release the pressure manually by switching the valve to the venting position. Be careful, it will steam!
- Let the cakes set. Remove the ramekins from the Instant Pot with an oven mitt and run a sharp knife around the edge between the ramekin and the cake. Then, allow the cakes to set for 2 minutes.
- Garnish and serve. Invert the cake onto a plate and garnish with powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream, or fresh berries. Serve immediately.