Bruschetta Chicken is a delicious Italian chicken recipe. Seasoned chicken breasts are baked to juicy perfection in the oven and topped with mozzarella cheese and a tomato mixture.
Bruschetta is a tomato mixture with oil and Italian seasonings. It is most commonly served on toasted bread as an antipasto (appetizer).
If you want to take this dish to the next level, I highly recommend using fresh tomatoes from a garden. They are so juicy and rich in flavor.
This post contains affiliate links.
Bruschetta Chicken Ingredients
To make this brushetta chicken bake, you will need the following (see the recipe card below for exact amounts and instructions):
- Chicken breast: Feel free to use either chicken breast or chicken thighs.
- Fresh tomatoes
- Olive oil: Grapeseed oil can be used as well
- Lemon juice: Lime juice can be used instead.
- Mozzarella Cheese: You can also use shredded mozzarella cheese. I prefer the slices of mozzarella cheese in terms of flavor.
- Fresh basil: Fresh basil will pack more of a punch of fresh flavor than dried basil. Dried basil can be used in a pinch. If you decide to use dried basil, add in 1 teaspoon.
- Red wine vinegar: Balsamic or white wine vinegar can be used instead of red wine vinegar.
- Fresh garlic: I chose to cut my fresh garlic up finely because the garlic isn’t fully cooked through. If you are not a fan of garlic, feel free to reduce the amount or omit it completely.
How to Make Chicken with Tomatoes Topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the chicken. Add oil, lemon juice, oregano, and thyme in a bowl and stir to combine. Prepare chicken by coating it with oil mixture. Place on a parchment or foil lined 9×9 inch baking dish or sheet pan. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees and juices run clear.
- Make the bruschetta. While chicken is cooking, prepare tomato mixture. In a medium sized bowl add in tomatoes, basil, oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, lemon juice, and salt, and toss to combine.
- Top the chicken with cheese and bruschetta. When chicken has finished cooking, place mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast. Add the tomato mixture alongside or on top of the cheese on chicken breast and return chicken to oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese has melted and the tomatoes are heated through.
- Serve and enjoy! Wait 5 minutes for the chicken to rest before serving. Spoon any tomato mixture that is alongside the chicken onto the top of the chicken. Top chicken fresh basil and balsamic vinegar (optional). Serve warm with a side of toast. Enjoy!
Tips for Bruschetta Chicken
- This dish sings when fresh ingredients are used such as fresh tomatoes, garlic, lemon, and basil. It’s a very light and refreshing chicken dish.
- This dish can be doubled to suit a family serving.
- I highly recommend adding balsamic on top. You can use balsamic vinegar or, my favorite, this balsamic glaze. Balsamic glaze is thicker and sweeter.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
What To Serve With Bruschetta
Bruschetta is often eaten on bread or toast, but it is excellent on many other dishes, including this chicken, potatoes, zucchini, or eggplant. You can also eat this dish with soup or salad. Pair this dish with Italian Cheese Buns and Zesty Italian Salad to make a complete meal.