Italian Cheese Buns are a delicious bread roll that you can serve with any meal. These cheesy buns are seasoned with Italian seasoning and brown sugar for a sweet and savory flavor.
Italian Cheese Buns Ingredients
To make this Italian cheese bread recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- cheese: I prefer Pepper Jack cheese for this recipe, but you can use cheddar
- Italian seasoning
- brown sugar
- egg and water: to make the egg wash
How to Make Cheesy Italian Bread
- Make the dough. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and 2 tablespoons of butter. Heat to 125F (hot but not boiling) and remove from heat. Stir the yeast and brown sugar into the milk mixture and let proof for up to 5 minutes. Pour the milk mixture into a large bowl and stir in flour (with a spoon or with your hands). Add in the cheese and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
- Knead the dough. Knead for 5 minutes, and then cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot of your kitchen.
- Let the dough rise. After an hour, the dough should be doubled. Punch down and divide into 8 even balls. Grease a cookie sheet and place the dough balls on it. Cover with plastic wrap and allow a final rise for one hour.
- Prepare the oven and add egg wash. Preheat oven to 400F. Cut a small cross or two slashes into the tops of each roll. Combine the egg and water and brush over the rolls. Sprinkle on remaining Italian seasoning.
- Bake in the oven. Bake at 350F for remaining 20-24 minutes, until golden brown.
What to Serve with Italian Buns
Italian Cheese Buns can be served with any Italian dish. I like to put the buns in a bread basket covered with a towel to keep them warm. These are perfect for wiping up extra sauce from a pasta dish that has a tomato sauce. You can also dip in tomato soup.
These buns are best served warm right away. If you must store them, store them in an airtight container for just a couple days.