This simple and easy Homemade Fried Rice recipe is just as good as any Chinese restaurant fried rice. This classic rice dish with eggs and vegetables only takes minutes to make and is so yummy!
Fried rice is a great meal prep or freezer meal recipe. It only takes 15 minutes to make and is so delicious. You can eat it with chopsticks, a fork or a spoon – no judgment here!
This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Fried Rice Ingredients
To make this egg fried rice recipe, you will need the following ingredients (scroll down to the recipe card below for exact amounts and directions):
- Canola oil (or any cooking oil)
- Fresh or frozen mixed vegetables or stir fry vegetables
- Garlic cloevs
- Fresh ginger (or ½ tsp ground ginger): To peel fresh ginger, use a spoon to scrape the skin off.
- Long grain rice: If you are using freshly cooked rice, let it cool before adding it in with the other ingredients.
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Green onions, optional garnish
How To Make Vegetable Fried Rice with Egg
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in eggs and scramble until cooked through. Place scrambled eggs on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat an additional 1 tablespoon oil and cook diced onion until translucent.
- Add mixed veggies, garlic, and ginger in with the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice, scrambled eggs, soy sauce, and sesame oil and cook until heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and a light drizzle of sesame oil, optional.
What Kind of Rice Should I Use for Fried Rice?
The best type of rice to use is medium to long grain rice. I really like the texture that Jasmine rice brings to this type of dish.
This is also great dish to use left over rice. It works best when you use cold rice. Cold rice is a little bit firmer and doesn’t turn to mush when it’s being cooked and stirred.
If you are looking for a low carb option, try cauliflower rice.
Tips for Cooking Fried Rice
- Use cold rice: Make sure you cook your rice ahead of time so it has time to cool. Warm rice will end up soggy when you try to fry it. Sometimes it’s helpful to put the rice in the freezer for about 10 minutes to cool it down quickly.
- Have the Right Size Pan: This is a one pan side dish recipe, so make sure you use a large pan big enough to fit all of the ingredients.
- Use Butter Instead of Oil: This recipe calls for oil, but some prefer the taste of butter. Try it both ways and you decide.
1 1/3 cups white rice makes about 4 cups cooked rice.
This rice recipe is very diverse and there are a variety of different ingredients that can be added to it. To make your rice more of a main dish, consider adding chicken, shrimp, pineapple, or tofu.
You can cook rice on the stove, but I love cooking rice in the Instant Pot. It comes out perfect every time.
What Can I Serve with Fried Rice?
I love rice so much that I could just eat it by itself. If you want more variety in your meals, it is a great side dish. Here are some ideas for what you can serve with it.
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli
- Crab Rangoon
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Egg Rolls and Yum Yum Sauce
You can store homemade fried rice in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
This also freezes well. It can be frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.