Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are not your average Christmas cookie. Dipped in white chocolate with peppermint extract and adorned with crushed candy canes and candy cane sprinkles, these cookies are perfect for Christmas.
This post contains affiliate links.
Peppermint Cookies Ingredients
To make this sweet Christmas cookie recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the full recipe below for detailed amounts and instructions):
- Wilton White Chocolate Melts: for dipping the cookies
- Peppermint Extract: to add the minty flavor
- Candy Canes and Candy Cane Sprinkles: for decorating
- Unsalted Butter: if you use salted butter, do not add salt. They will turn out very salty!
- Cocoa Powder: to get that extra chocolaty flavor
- Baking powder, salt, flour, sugar, egg, vanilla extract: classic baking ingredients
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix wet ingredients and sugar. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar. [Note: I love this set of mixing bowls with grips.] Add in the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Mix dry ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Add it into the sugar mixture and mix until combined well.
- Bake Cookies. Use a cookie scoop to drop cookie dough onto cookie sheets and bake for about 8-10 minutes. Cool the cookies completely.
- Dip the cookies. Melt the white chocolate per package directions and add peppermint extract to taste. Mix well. Dip each cookie into the chocolate until coated halfway.
- Add sprinkles. Put 2 candy cane sprinkles on the white chocolate and sprinkle crushed candy canes around on the chocolate. Let harden.
Enjoy! I bet you can’t eat just one peppermint cookie. Check out more Christmas goodies here.
- When dipping the peppermint cookies in the white chocolate, let the excess drip off.
- Place the cookies on parchment paper to decorate and let harden. If you place them on a cooling rack, the chocolate will harden around the rack and may tear the cookies when you remove them.
- I dip and then decorate each cookie one at a time, so that the chocolate does not harden before I can finish decorating.
- You can use a kitchen precision tweezers to place the candy canes if you have issues with mobility in your hands.
Crushing candy canes is easy! First unwrap your candy canes. Place them in a plastic bag. Next crush them with a heavy object. I like to use a meat tenderizer, metal ladle, or rolling pin. You can crush to the consistency you want.
You will most likely have leftover melted white chocolate and candy canes. I like to dump the rest of the crushed candy canes into the peppermint white chocolate mixture, stir to combine, and spread it out on wax paper. Put in the fridge to harden, and you have peppermint bark!