Caramel Apple Galette is a sweet and tasty pastry recipe. This apple dessert has a crispy crust and caramel sauce.
This post contains affiliate links.
What is Galette?
A galette is just a fancy French word meaning flat cake. It is sort of like a round flatbread with a crust. It is not quite a pie, as it is open on top and not covered. It is essentially a pastry.
This delicious sweet dessert is perfect for fall! Apple recipes are all the rave during this time of year and they are my favorite. I love a good apple pie or candy apple.
Caramel Apple Galette Ingredients
To make this easy dessert recipe, you will need the following ingredients (scroll down to the recipe below for precise amounts):
- Granny Smith apples
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- heavy cream
- cream cheese
How to Make a Galette
You are first going to prepare the pie crust, as it needs to chill for some time and you can get the rest of the ingredients ready while you are waiting. Then you will make the caramel sauce and the filling.
- Make the crust. Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add the flour and mix until dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the caramel sauce. Using a small saucepan, melt the sugar into the water on medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring until the sugar is melted. At this point, take off the heat and add the cream. Stir until incorporated. It will bubble profusely and this is normal. Put back on heat but lower it to medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes or until the candy thermometer reads 250 degrees. Remove from heat and add vanilla and then butter, one tablespoon at a time. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Make the filling. Peel and slice the apples. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugars, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Add sliced apples. Mix until the apples are coated.
- Prepare the galette. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly flour your counter surface and roll your pie dough to about an ⅛ inch thick. This doesn’t have to be a perfect circle. Transfer dough to cookie sheet or a pizza stone. Put the apple mixture in the middle of dough and spread out to about 1 1 ½ inches from the edge. Roll the edges of dough up to hold in liquid. Cut the butter into cubes and place on top of the pie. Sprinkle the flour over the filling. Use cream to cover the edges of the pie (you can also use an egg wash).
- Bake the galette. Bake for approximately 1 hour making sure the apples are tender and the crust is golden.
- Drizzle with caramel, cool and serve. Once the pie comes out of the oven, drizzle caramel over it. The hot pie absorbs the caramel. Once the pie has cooled, drizzle it again with the caramel. Enjoy.