This warm and creamy Tomato Basil Soup recipe made from scratch is the ultimate comfort food. Roasted tomatoes are blended with onions and garlic, seasoned to perfection, and topped with fresh basil and heavy whipping cream.
This easy soup recipe is better than any canned soup, so give it a try! This recipe is especially good if you are looking for healthy soup recipes.
This soup is so good, it can be enjoyed as a main dish or a side dish. Try dipping Irish Soda Bread or Pizza Rolls, or add a dollop of Basil Pesto.
This post contains affiliate links.
Tomato Basil Soup Ingredients
To make this easy soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- Tomatoes: I used Roma tomatoes for this recipe, but you can also tomatoes on the vine
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Red pepper flakes
- Tomato sauce: I have also made this soup using tomato puree and had similar results. It’s a really great substitute if you don’t have tomato sauce on hand.
- Fresh basil: If necessary you can use dried basil in place of the fresh basil, but it is well worth the flavor to add the fresh basil for this soup.
- Dried oregano
- Soy sauce
- Low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Brown sugar: The Brown sugar is used to offset some of the acidity caused by the tomatoes. The soup will not taste sweet after the addition of the brown sugar, it just helps balance the flavors.
- Heavy whipping cream
How to Make Tomato Soup from Scratch
Making homemade tomato basil soup is as easy as roasting tomatoes on a sheet pan, combining ingredients in a blender, and simmering in a saucepan.
- Roast the tomatoes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place tomatoes skin side down onto the baking sheet. Lightly season with salt and black pepper then drizzle with half of the olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Saute the onion and garlic. As the tomatoes cool, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 5-7 minutes until cooked through, then add the minced garlic. Sauté for another 1 minute.
- Blend the ingredients. Add the onion and garlic to a blender or food processor with the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and fresh basil.
Blend/process until smooth.
- Add seasoning and cream. Pour the puree into a saucepan. Add the red pepper flakes, oregano, soy sauce, vegetable broth, sugar, and heavy whipping cream. Stir.
- Let the soup simmer. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Season the soup to taste with salt and black pepper then ladle into bowls and serve.
- Garnish with additional heavy whipping cream and fresh basil, optional.
What To Serve With Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato basil soup is the perfect lunch or dinner meal. My favorite way to eat this soup is with a side of grilled cheese that has been dipped in the soup. It is a truly magical combination.
You can also eat your soup with a side of toast, fresh baked rolls, or crackers. Feel free to top your soup with a splash of heavy cream or olive oil and of course some chopped fresh basil.
Store your tomato basil soup in the refrigerator for an additional three to four days.
This soup can also be frozen for up to six months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating the soup on the stove.