St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes are a delicious way to show off the symbolism of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. These cupcakes are easy to make and turn out so festive.
Add marshmallows, Air Heads, and Oreos to the top of a cupcake for a really cute St. Patrick’s Day cupcake! Serve with this St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Shake.
This post contains affiliate links.
St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes Ingredients
To make this pot of gold cupcake recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix
- vegetable oil
- Pillsbury Creamy Supreme White Frosting
- Xtreme Airheads
- Mini Marshmallows
- Golden Oreo cookies
- Gold Mist Food Paint: found in the cake decorating section at your local grocery store or online here
Special Tools Needed
- Cupcake Pan
- Green Cupcake Liners
- Icing Piping Kit and Tip
How to Make St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes
St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cupcakes are easy to make and simple to decorate.
- Start by preparing cupcake batter according to box instructions.
- Line a cupcake pan with green cupcake liners. Fill each one half way with batter, and bake according to box instructions. Once baked, let cool completely.
- Fill piping bag with white icing and add piping tip. Start in the middle of your cupcake and work your way out and up with the icing.
- Next take your Golden Oreos and paint each one with gold mist. Place a toothpick through the center of the cream, once dried, and place towards the back of your cupcake.
- Next place toothpicks through 4 marshmallows, and place them on top of the cupcake as shown.
- Take your Extreme Airheads and cut into 1/3 pieces. Place two sections together and curve in between the marshmallow, to create a rainbow, as shown.
- Make sure to remove the toothpicks from the rainbow cupcakes before eating them!
What is the Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow?
We have all heard the phrase pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The pot of gold has become part of the Irish folklore of St. Patrick’s Day because they are associated with leprechauns.
The leprechauns are mythological creatures that guard the hidden pot of gold. Of course, there is no “end” to a rainbow, so you much catch a leprechaun to find the pot of gold!
The pot of gold here is represented by the actual cupcake. The Oreo represents a gold coin. The rainbow is on top with marshmallows to represent clouds. So cute!