Lemon Poke Cake with lemon pudding and whipped cream topping is a refreshing dessert perfect for summer. This cake is so easy to make!
Lemon is such a refreshing flavor. I love to serve this cake out on the patio after a nice dinner.
Lemon Poke Cake Ingredients
To make this lemon pudding cake, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Lemon cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Instant lemon pudding mix
- Whipped topping
How to Make Lemon Poke Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 inch baking pan with a light coating of cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool, then using the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes over each inch of the cake. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pudding mix and milk. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour pudding over cake and spread evenly. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Spread the whipped topping over the pudding layer. Top with sliced lemons and zest. Serve.
Can I Put Other Filling in Poke Cakes?
One common filling for poke cakes is jello. You could use a lemon jello packet mixed with water. Then, use a spoon to pour the liquid jello mix into the holes. Refrigerate until the jello has soaked through or become solid.
Another option is making a cream cheese filling. Yum!
Fun Poke Cake Flavor
- Unicorn Poke Cake – Strawberry, grape and blue raspberry gelatin make this cake extra magical.
- Patriotic Poke Cake – This red, white and blue cake is perfect for the 4th of July.
- Easter Poke Cake – Pastel colors in this spring poke cake are so pretty.
- Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake – Perfect for chocolate lovers, this cake is topped with chocolate whipped cream!