Lemon Poke Cake with lemon pudding and whipped cream topping is a refreshing dessert perfect for summer. This cake is so easy to make!
Lemon flavor is so refreshing! I love to serve this soft and moist cake out on the patio after a nice dinner.
Using cake mix makes this recipe a breeze. It already includes pre-measured flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
Lemon Poke Cake Ingredients
To make this lemon pudding cake, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Lemon cake mix: If you cannot find lemon cake mix, you can use yellow cake mix and add lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Vegetable oil
- Instant lemon pudding mix
- Whipped topping: Cool Whip is best.
Serve this Cake on a Cute Dessert Plate!
How to Make Lemon Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 inch baking pan with a light coating of cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lemon cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then using the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes in the cake, about an inch apart. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the instant pudding mix and milk. Whisk together until smooth.
- Pour pudding “glaze” over the cooled cake and spread evenly. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Spread the whipped topping over the pudding layer. Top with sliced lemons and zest. Serve.
Can I Put Other Filling in Poke Cakes?
One common filling for poke cakes is jello. You could use a lemon jello packet mixed with water. Then, use a spoon to pour the liquid jello mix into the holes. Refrigerate until the jello has soaked through or become solid.
Another option is making a cream cheese filling. Yum!
Cover the cake pan with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The pudding will start to make the cake soggy if stored longer.
Some people pock holes in a cake using a large straw, but you lose some of the cake with this method as it gets stuck in the straw. The best way to poke a hole in a cake is with the handle of a wooden spoon.
Fun Poke Cake Flavor
- Unicorn Poke Cake – Strawberry, grape and blue raspberry gelatin make this cake extra magical.
- Patriotic Poke Cake – This red, white and blue cake is perfect for the 4th of July.
- Easter Poke Cake – Pastel colors in this spring poke cake are so pretty.
- Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake – Perfect for chocolate lovers, this cake is topped with chocolate whipped cream!