Instant Pot French Onion Soup is a quick way to make this classic soup recipe. This sweet soup with onions and brown sugar is topped off with melted cheese and toasted bread.
This post contains affiliate links.
Special Kitchen Items Needed
For this recipe you will need a few specialty tools.
Instant Pot French Onion Soup Ingredients
To make this instant pot onion soup, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- yellow onions
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- garlic cloves
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- beef stock
- white American cheese
- French baguette
How to Make French Onion Soup in an Instant Pot
Making onion soup in a pressure cooker is really easy and it is done cooking in only 10 minutes.
- Saute the onions. Place onions and butter in an Instant Pot. Select the saute option. Stir onions with butter, until butter melts and onions are soft and become translucent. Add in brown sugar, and continue to saute until brown sugar dissolves into the onion mixture, about 3-5 minutes. Turn off the pot.
- Cook the soup. Add in remaining ingredients, pouring beef stock on top. Close and lock the lid. Turn the steam release valve to sealing. Select soup or pressure cook on high, changing time to 10 minutes. Once done, allow it to sit for additional 10 minutes, before releasing remaining steam.
- Toast the bread. Toast a slice of bread or place bread on a baking pan and broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Melt the cheese. Dish the soup into oven safe bowls. Place a slice of bread over the soup. Add cheese on top. Place bowls on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes until the cheese begins to turn golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Substitutions and Optional Add-Ins
- You can also serve with croutons instead of bread.
- Soup will thicken a little as it cools, but if you prefer your soup to be thicker, you can add a tablespoon of cornstarch and stir in the soup until it dissolves. Allow soup to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Experiment with cheese: shredded or sliced American, Cheddar, Swiss, Gruyere or other favorite cheese.