This is a simple recipe for homemade hummus that tastes even better than a store-bought version. It uses canned chickpeas so there’s no soaking or cooking involved.
This recipe uses only 6 ingredients and is ready in 10 minutes. Simply add all of the ingredients to your food processor and blend them.
This post contains affiliate links.
Ingredients You Need to Make Dip from Chickpeas
To make this easy hummus dip, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe card below for exact amounts and directions):
- canned chickpeas: these are also called garbanzo beans
- tahini: you can find tahini in the condiment aisle of the grocery store. Tahini is made from sesame seeds and is a must-have in this recipe.
You will also need a food processor or blender. Personally, I love the Ninja Blender for making thick sauces.
How to Make Hummus
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Pulse several times and then blend until smooth.
- If needed, add additional water (one tablespoon at a time) until your hummus reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve with chips, veggies or fruit for dipping.
What to Serve with Hummus
Hummus is best served with chips or veggies for dipping. Popular favorites include pita chips and sliced vegetables like carrots, celery or bell peppers.
Hummus will stay good in the fridge (covered) for 3 – 4 days.
- Customize the recipe: this is an easy recipe to customize to your favorite flavors. Adjust the amount of ingredients like lemon, salt, and garlic if you prefer.
- To make it spicy: add a couple pinches of red pepper flakes.
- Blending your hummus: pause to scrape the hummus from the sides of the blender into the bottom. This will help it blend evenly.