These Caramel Apple Nachos are so quick, easy and delicious that you will want to snack on them every day! Apples slices are drizzled with caramel and peanut butter, and topped with mini chocolate chips.
Caramel Apple Nachos Ingredients
To make this dessert nachos recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Granny smith apple: You can substitute another green apple if you’d like.
- Honeycrisp apple: You can substitute any red apple, for example Fuji, Pink Lady or Gala apples all work well.
- Caramel ice cream topping: Caramel goes very well with apples but you could also use a chocolate sauce.
- Peanut butter: Feel free to use creamy or natural peanut butter.
- Vanilla extract
- Ginger: This adds a nice depth of flavor and a little spice to the apples, however it can be replaced with cinnamon or omitted entirely if desired.
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make this Cute Apple Snack
- Heat the honey in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until easy to pour. Stir the honey into the water until combined and add your apple slices to the liquid. Soak them for 30 seconds to 1 hour. This will help prevent browning.
- Drain the slices and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange on a serving plate, alternating between green and red-colored apples.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the caramel ice cream topping, peanut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon and ginger. They should mix together and form a thin sauce. If it is not liquid enough to drizzle, heat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Drizzle over the apple slices.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and chia seeds, optional. Serve immediately. Best when eaten fresh.
How should I store my apple nachos?
Apple Nachos are best eaten right after they are made. I recommend storing the apples uncut and preparing this recipe when you are ready to enjoy it, however sliced apples will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days if wrapped tightly or in a bag or container with very little air.
Can I freeze apples?
You can freeze apple slices in a single layer in a heavy-duty freezer bag for almost a year but their texture will change and they work best for cooking. With any apple slices, to keep them from browning, sprinkle them with lemon juice before storing.
How can I keep my apple slices from browning?
No one likes a brown apple slice! Here are a few other different ways to make sure your apple slices keep that beautiful, crispy, white color. You’ll notice that most of these methods involve coating the slices with a slightly acidic liquid, which is what stops the browning process.
- You can submerge the slices for 5 to 10 minutes in lemon-lime soda, ginger ale or club soda.
- Dilute 1 Tablespoon of lemon or lime juice, lemonade or orange juice with a cup of water and coat the slices with the liquid.
- Soak the slices in a mixture of ½ teaspoon salt and 1 cup of water for 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the slices with ascorbic acid.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of Fruit Fresh with 3 Tablespoons of water and toss 4 cups of apple slices in the mixture.