Perfect for a hot summer day celebration of my favorite holiday – 4th of July – these festive 4th of July Ice Cream Sandwiches will top off any family party or bbq.
They are really easy to make and keep well in the freezer. Make them ahead of time to save energy in the kitchen on the day of your party. Enjoy a delicious Fourth of July Ice Cream Sandwich while you watch the fireworks!
Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
This post contains affiliate links.
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- semisweet chocolate chips
- Red food coloring and Blue food coloring
- Vanilla ice cream
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
How to Make 4th of July Cookies from Scratch
The first step to making Fourth of July ice cream sandwiches is to make the cookies. These steps will show you how to make the cookies from scratch.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar about 2 minutes with a handheld electric mixer on medium speed until it is smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until mixed in.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix in until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Add chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Chill dough if it is warm.
- Divide the dough in half. Now divide only one of the halves in half again. The two smaller sections will be used with the food coloring.
- Put the red food coloring into one of the small sections and mix till incorporated. It is easier to mix it in a bowl.
- Put the blue food coloring into one the other section and mix till incorporated.
- Taking the uncolored section, place it on a piece of clear plastic wrap and place blue on one side and red on the other. Using the wrap roll into a cylinder and place into the refrigerator to cool for 30 min.
How to Make 4th of July Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Once the cookies are cooled, take out and slice cookies and place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake the cookies 12-14 minutes, until they are brown around the edges.
- Once cooled, place s scoop of vanilla ice cream on one cookie and sandwich it with another cookie.
- Decorate with sprinkles. Place into freezer container and store until ready to use.
4th of July Desserts
Try these other Fourth of July desserts: