Twice Baked Potatoes are a delicious side dish for any holiday dinner. They are topped with cheese, bbq sauce, bacon and ranch dressing.
This is one of my favorite potato recipes. It is warm, cheesy, and just so comforting.
This post contains affiliate links.
Twice Baked Potato Ingredients
To make this baked potato recipe, you will need the following ingredients (print the recipe below for amounts and instructions):
- russet potatoes
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- sharp cheddar cheese
- Ranch Dressing
How to Make Twice Baked Potatoes
- Bake the potatoes for the first time. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub oil over the potatoes and place on a pan. Bake for one hour. Remove potatoes from oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carve out the potatoes. Allow potatoes to cool until you’re able to handle them, or hold using an oven mitt. Slice potatoes in half, remove the insides of potatoes with a spoon and place into a medium bowl. Set the skins aside and they will get a little crunchy as they cool.
- Mix all the ingredients. Beat potatoes inside medium bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat milk and butter in a small pan or microwave until butter melts. Add milk mixture to the bowl with potatoes, fold in ½ cup of sharp cheddar and ½ cup of pepper jack cheeses, and chopped bacon.
- Add mixture to skins. Stuff potato skins evenly with potato mixture. Top with an even layer of remaining cheeses on each potato.
- Bake potatoes a second time. Return potatoes into the oven and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Garnish. Garnish with BBQ, ranch, and chives.
Tips for Baked Potatoes
- Try to get perfectly shaped oval potatoes. These create the best “boats” for holding all of the ingredients.
- I highly recommend using a Kitchen Aid mixer. The potato mixture is very thick.
- You can eat the skins! I do not, but it is just a personal preference.
Can I Make These Ahead of Time?
If you are traveling for the holidays, you can make these ahead of time. Just wait to bake the potatoes for the second time until you arrive at your destination. Cover and refrigerate overnight until you are ready to leave. Make sure you have asked for permission to use their oven!
What to Serve with Potatoes
This baked potato recipe is a great side dish to serve at holidays. I love a good potluck holiday, but here are some ideas if you want to make a traditional meal:
Cream of Pumpkin Soup | A Fall Recipe to Warm You Up
Thursday 29th of March 2018
[…] Want more warm, comforting food? Try these twice baked potatoes. […]
Wednesday 29th of November 2017
I love potatoes looking good and tasty
Monday 27th of November 2017
These potatoes sound delicious. I am definitely going to try this recipe.
Saturday 25th of November 2017
This looks and sounds awesome. Just the garnishment alone has my attention. Never thought about doing this. Definitely a keeper!
Wednesday 22nd of November 2017
I`m going to make this recipe. I love twice baked potatoes and I make them all the and I love this recipe.