This recipe is for a perfect, classic easy pineapple upside down cake. It is beautiful on top, moist inside and has plenty of pineapple flavor.
With the help of a boxed cake mix, this recipe is ready to go in the oven in only 15 minutes. And it uses pineapple juice in the batter for added pineapple taste.
The pineapple juice and the brown sugar and butter mixture on top of the cake both soak into the batter to create the perfect sweet, light cake.
The cake itself is the best part of this recipe: it’s super soft and fluffy. Each bite gets a delicious cake along with fruity pineapple on top.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients
To make this pineapple cake recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe below for exact quantities and instructions):
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Canned pineapple slices: you will used both the pineapple slices and the pineapple juice from the can
- Maraschino cherries
- Yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil
How to Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
This is a fail-proof way to make pineapple upside down cake that always looks impressive and tastes amazing.
- Prepare your oven and pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add butter and sugar to pan. In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar. Pour the butter and sugar mixture into the cake pan. If needed, tilt the cake pan so that the mixture covers the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Add the pineapple rings and cherries. Add one ring of pineapple to the middle of the cake pan and then surround it by 6 more. Add the cherries to the centers of the pineapple rings.
- Add cake batter. Prepare the yellow cake mix according to the directions on the box, substituting pineapple juice for water. Use the pineapple juice from your canned slices. If your slices don’t have a full 1 cup of juice, substitute the remaining amount with water. Pour the cake batter into the pan until it is ¾ of the way full. There will be some cake batter left over.
- Bake the cake. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake and flip it over. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then loosen the edges with a knife. Place a serving platter on top of your cake and then flip it over so that the pineapple slices are on top.
Tips for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- This recipe calls for a 9” cake pan, which fits about 7 pineapple rings. Depending on the size of your rings, you may need to press them together to get them to fit into your pan.
- To ensure an easy removal of your cake, be sure to let it cool at least 10 minutes and take a knife around the edges of your cake to loosen it before flipping it.
- The cake will be soft and moist – avoid handling it too much or moving it after it’s flipped. Ideally, you’ll want to flip your cake onto the platter that you’ll serve it on.
- This recipe calls for a boxed yellow cake mix, but you can also use a pineapple cake mix if you can find it!
How Do I Know When My Cake is Done?
To know when your cake is done, insert a toothpick or fork into the center of your cake. If it comes out clean, you can remove the cake from the oven. The top of the cake should also be lightly golden brown.