Overnight Breakfast Casserole is a cheesy breakfast bake with bread, ham, and eggs. Everything you love to eat for breakfast is baked in one dish.
This breakfast dish is a classic for a reason! It is so convenient to have it all prepared the evening before so that all you need to do is pop it in the oven and then enjoy! It is also versatile and can easily be personalized to your own tastes. Some people refer to this recipe as Wife Saver…call it whatever you want, it’s the perfect breakfast casserole!
Overnight meals, like these overnight oats, are perfect for when you know you won’t have time to make breakfast in the morning, such as leaving early for a trip or having to make holiday preparation.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
To make this overnight breakfast recipe, make sure you have the following ingredients on hand (see the recipe below for exact amounts and instructions):
- Ham: I used pre-diced ham, but you can use slices of deli ham or chopped spiral ham.
- Cheddar cheese
- Seasoning Salt
- Onion powder
- Salted butter
- Garnish with parsley (optional)
How to Make Breakfast Casserole The Night Before
Making this breakfast dish ahead of time gives the sauce a chance to infuse the bread and other ingredients.
- Add bread to a baking dish. Butter or spray a 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 8 slices of bread. Every baking dish is different so tare your bread is necessary to cover the bottom evenly. It is alright if they go up the sides slightly.
- Layer the ham and cheese. Use the cubed ham to make the next layer. Evenly sprinkle on the shredded cheddar cheese. Cover the cheese with the remaining 8 slices of bread.
- Make the egg mixture. Beat eggs, salt, seasoning salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk in the onion powder and milk. Pour the eggs, salt, pepper, onion powder and milk mixture over the casserole.
- Refrigerate the casserole. Cover the baking dish and place it in the fridge overnight.
- Bake the casserole. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour it over top of the casserole. Crush the Cornflakes and spread an even layer over top. Leave this uncovered and bake for 1 hour. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Seal well and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This dish is best reheated in the oven, rather than the microwave. This way the cornflake topping should stay crispy. Bake it at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Can this Casserole be Frozen?
Yes! This casserole may be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. If you had already baked it, then reheat at 350ºF for about 20 minutes or until heated through. If you had frozen it unbaked, then bake it for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
This casserole can be catered to your family’s preferences. Want bacon? Add cooked bacon before baking. Add fresh bell peppers or mushrooms. Get creative!
Can I Use Something Besides Chopped Ham?
Yes, you could substitute 16 slices of ham (they can overlap), or even 16 slices of turkey.
Do I Have to Shred the Cheese?
No, you can actually just slice up the cheese and lay the slices on the ham. Slice the cheese about ¼ of an inch thick. And slice enough to completely cover the ham layer.
I Don’t Have Cornflakes, What Would you Recommend?
Special K works just as well. You could also try Panko crumbs, just make sure you allow for a crispy, crunchy topping. It pairs well with the soft layers of casserole.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 16 slices white bread crusts removed
- 4 cups cubed ham
- 16 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 cups)
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- Butter or spray a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 8 slices of bread. Every baking dish is different so tare your bread is necessary to cover the bottom evenly. It is alright if they go up the sides slightly.
- Use the cubed ham to make the next layer.
- Evenly sprinkle on the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover the cheese with the remaining 8 slices of bread.
- Beat eggs, salt, seasoning salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk in the onion powder and milk.
- Pour the eggs, salt, pepper, onion powder and milk mixture over the casserole.
- Cover the baking dish and place it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour it over top of the casserole.
- Crush the Cornflakes and spread an even layer over top.
- Leave this uncovered and bake for 1 hour.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
The nutrition information is calculated using online nutrition calculators and may not be accurate. It is provided as a general guide only.
The recipe and photos contained herein are the property of Emily Enchanted© and may not be copied.