Mixed Berry Oatmeal Bars are full of flavor and are a sweet way to start your day. Granola and berries are layered and baked to perfection, and then topped with a sugar glaze.
Breakfast bars are great for making ahead and grabbing when you are on the go. Oatmeal bars is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. They are packed with flavor and give me energy to get through the morning.
This post contains affiliate links.
Homemade Berry Oatmeal Bars Ingredients
To make this sweet breakfast recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the full recipe below for detailed amounts and instructions):
- Rolled Oats: also called old fashioned oats
- Sugar: granulated and light brown sugar
- Cinnamon: adding just a little spice goes a long way
- Butter: always cook with unsalted butter unless specifically stated in the recipe to use salted butter. You can always add salt if needed, but too much salt will ruin a recipe.
- Berries: strawberries and blueberries
- Lemon: to give the oatmeal bars that zesty flavor
- Cornstarch, flour, salt: thickening agents are used so that the berries do not get runny
- Glaze: powdered sugar and heavy cream
How to Make Oatmeal Bars
- Prepare the oven and pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8 inch baking pan with non stick spray. Line with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving an overhang, and spray the paper for easy removal.
- Make the crust and crumble. In a large bowl, whisk together the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Pour in the melted butter and mix until everything is combined and chunky. Set aside 1/2 cup of this granola mixture. Pour the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and pack down the crust.
- Make layers. Layer 1/2 of the strawberry and blueberry mixture over the crust, sprinkle the cornstarch over the fruit, squeeze half a lemon over the fruit, sprinkle half of the granulated sugar, top with the remaining fruit and then sprinkle the remaining granulated sugar on top. Spread the 1/2 cup mixture of granola over the top.
- Bake the oatmeal bars. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the granola is starting to turn golden and the fruit is bubbling. Set out to cool completely before cutting. If you choose to cut while warm the bars will be more like a cobbler. I personally let them cool for about an hour and then refrigerate for a few hours to get more of a clean cut.
- Drizzle with glaze. Once cooled, mix 2 tablespoons of heavy cream in with the powdered sugar, slowly add more cream until the desired consistency has been reached. Drizzle all over the bars.
Possible Breakfast Bars Variations
- Try different berries, like raspberries and blackberries.
- Drizzle with honey or another sweetener instead of a glaze.
Storage Instructions for Oatmeal Bars
Granola bars can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Layer the bars with wax paper so they do not stick to each other.
If you want to freeze the bars, wrap each bar individually in plastic wrap after they have cooled completely, and place the bars in a freezer bag. Thaw overnight or for at least an hour when ready to eat.