All-aboard the health train express with this delicious Kale Smoothie recipe you won’t be able to get enough of! This healthy smoothie features kale, whole milk, pineapple, yogurt, and banana. Yum!
Green smoothies are a great way to get a ton of nutrients at one time or for an “on the go” breakfast. This kale pineapple smoothie makes two 6 ounce servings.
Kale Smoothie Recipe Ingredients
To make this kale smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients (go to the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Kale: substitute with Spinach if you prefer, but then it can no longer be referred to as a “Kale Smoothie.”
- Pineapple juice: You can also use fresh pineapple
- Whole milk: Use almond milk or coconut milk if you prefer. If you want it to be sweeter, use sweetened or vanilla.
- Banana: For a thicker smoothie, add 2 bananas.
- Lime: The lime juice can be fresh or from concentrate. It can also be replaced with lemon juice.
- Honey: The honey can be replaced with maple syrup or agave syrup.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt: Feel free to use a regular yogurt instead. Or choose a yogurt with a vanilla blend flavor.
- Ice: If you prefer not to use ice, you can freeze your bananas and kale ahead of time and use those instead of ice. You can also add in additional frozen fruit to thicken your smoothie and replace the ice.
How to Make a Smoothie with Kale
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until combined and smooth. The best order in which to do this is as follows: chunks of banana first, then yogurt, ice, kale, pineapple juice, almond milk, lime juice, honey. If you put the kale at the bottom, it might not blend well.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Store your kale smoothie in the refrigerator in an airtight glass mason jar for up to 48 hours. You can also refreeze your smoothie for up to 3 months. If you decide to freeze it, I recommend omitting the milk because it does not thaw well.
What Do I Do if the Consistency of the Smoothie is Not Right?
Because kale stems are thick, these can create the consistency of the smoothie to be grainy. You can solve this in one of two ways.
- When chopping your kale, remove the stems completely and only use the leaves in the smoothie.
- After finishing the smoothie, pour it through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of any grainy bits. This will make the smoothie more like a juice, but it is very delicious. If you need to thicken up the smoothie after you have strained it, feel free to add in more banana, yogurt, or additional frozen fruit.
What are the Health Benefits of Kale?
Kale is an incredible superfood, with tons of health benefits, which is why it has become such a huge craze in the last ten years. Kale is extremely nutrient dense, which many essential nutrients that our bodies need, and has many antioxidants, which help combat disease and sickness.
Kale also includes large amounts of Vitamin C and Vitamin K, special nutrients, and has properties that can help fight heart disease and cancer.