Jack O Lantern Meringues are the cutest mini Halloween treat. Pumpkin spice meringues are decorated with jack-o-lantern faces for a spooky dessert.
Meringues can take a while to master, so don’t be discouraged if your meringue cracks. This is very common! Just keep trying and perfecting your technique. I actually like cracks in this recipe, as it gives these jack-o-lanterns a more ghoulish feel!
This post contains affiliate links.
Jack O Lantern Meringues Ingredients
To make these Halloween meringues, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- egg whites: Egg whites are going to whip up into a crisp and chewy meringue cookie. Make sure to use size large egg whites.
- granulated sugar: Sugar helps sweeten and stabilize the egg whites in our meringues.
- pumpkin pie spice: Pumpkin spice adds a bit of pumpkin flavor the the meringue. Feel free to swap it for cinnamon if you prefer.
- Orange gel food coloring: You must use gel food color in meringues, not liquid! I used Wilton Orange food color.
- Black food marker: Make sure to use an edible marker on the meringues. I bought mine online but they are available in most grocery and craft stores.
How to Make Jack-o’-Lantern Meringue
- Preheat the oven to 275F and line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed, adding the granulated sugar slowly (about 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Add in the pumpkin pie spice and mix at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the orange gel food coloring and fold it gently into the meringue, making sure not to deflate the egg whites as you fold.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and pipe out 1-inch circles with the orange meringue.
- Bake for 1 hour then turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Once the meringues have cooled, draw small jack-o-lantern faces on the meringues.
Transfer the meringues to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How to use Pumpkin Meringues
These adorable meringues are perfect for serving on your Halloween dessert table. Of course they can be eaten by themselves, but try using them on top of a Halloween cupcake or Halloween brownie.