Hawaiian Coffee BBQ Steak Tacos have the ultimate savory and sweet flavor combination. Flavorful flank steak is cooked to perfection and paired with pineapple and jalapenos to create a delicious taco party in your mouth.
Hawaiian Coffee BBQ Steak Tacos Ingredients
To make this Hawaiian taco recipe, you will need the following ingredients (scroll down to the recipe card below for exact amounts and directions):
- flank steak
- olive oil
- unsalted butter
- Kona Coffee BBQ Rub
- small flour tortillas
- red onion
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Cotija Cheese, for garnish
How to Make Hawaiian Coffee BBQ Steak Tacos
First, you will need to follow my recipe for Hawaiian Coffee BBQ Flank Steak. I have included it again here for ease.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the steak into 4 sections, pat dry and rub the Kona Coffee BBQ Rub all over both sides of the steak.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until pan is very hot. Melt the butter in the pan, add the meat and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, until you have a beautiful char.
- Place cast iron skillet into oven and cook for 3 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and return to stove top. Remove steaks from pan and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Chop the steak into bite-sized pieces.
- Divide the chopped steak, pineapple, red onion, and jalapeno onto the tortillas.
- Garnish with cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese.
Steak Taco Substitutes
The great thing about tacos is that they are totally customizable! I love setting up taco bars with a different options so everyone can pick and choose what they want. Here are some delicious substitutions you can make for these tacos:
- Corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas (heat them up and serve them warm!)
- Mango instead of pineapple
- Avocado instead of jalapeno
- Sour cream instead of cotija cheese
What to Serve with Tacos
Steak tacos are great to serve by themselves, and I could eat so many of them! But if you want to serve side dishes, here are some great options for your taco dinner: