Try this delicious, moist, and simple Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake using only 5 ingredients. This super easy dump cake recipe is made with chocolate cake box mix, maraschino cherries, chocolate chips, Cherry Dr. Pepper, and vanilla frosting.
Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake Ingredients
To make this easy soda cake recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Box chocolate cake mix: If you want to try this with another type of cake mix, feel free!
- Cherry Dr. Pepper: If you don’t like Cherry Dr. Pepper, try it with your favorite type of Dr. Pepper or another favorite soda.
- Maraschino cherries
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla frosting: You can choose to make your own frosting as well, especially if you like more of the cherry liquid in the frosting. We only use 2-3 Tablespoons so that the frosting doesn’t get too runny, but if you want to add more, you will also need to add more powdered sugar.
How to Make Cherry Dr. Pepper Dump Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a 9×13 inch pan, whisk in chocolate cake mix, and Cherry Dr. Pepper.
- Take half of the maraschino cherries and remove the stems. DO NOT throw out the liquid. Cut the maraschino cherries in fours and then fold into the cake batter along with chocolate chips.
- Immediately place the pan in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the cake and it comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- Stir 2-3 Tablespoons of the maraschino cherries liquid into the vanilla frosting. Set the remaining stemmed maraschino cherries aside to use to decorate the cake. Stir in 2-3 drops of food coloring for a more vibrant pink color, optional.
- Frost the cake with the prepared frosting and then top with the remaining stemmed cherries. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings as an optional garnish and serve.
It’s important that you put the cake in the oven as soon as you are done mixing it. The Dr. Pepper is what causes the cake to rise in the oven. If it sits out for too long it will lose some of its carbonation and you won’t get the rise you need in the cake.
How do I store Cherry Dr. Pepper Cake?
You can store this cake at room temperature as long as the frosting has been chilled and set and it is covered well. It will store for about 5 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator, as long as it is well wrapped, for about a week. Or keep it in the freezer, wrapped well, for a few months.
Can I make other versions of this cake?
What I love about this type of cake, along with the ease of it, is how many ways that you can use it! For example, let’s say you want a vanilla cake with some Sprite instead. Simply switch out the chocolate cake mix for a vanilla cake mix, and the Cherry Dr. Pepper for some Sprite. Or, try a spice cake mix with some grapefruit soda! You can try any cake and soda combo. The possibilities are endless!