There is something about putting fruit in your breakfast that just makes it so refreshing. This Brown Sugar Apple Waffles recipe is sweet and delicious.
I love the Fall spin on a traditional breakfast waffle. The brown sugar caramelizes the apples, making this breakfast a real treat! If you are looking for a lighter breakfast, try my One Point Weight Watchers Blueberry Pancakes.
To make this easy breakfast recipe, you will need the following ingredients (scroll down to the recipe below for precise amounts):
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- flax meal: or you can use eggs
- Coconut oil for cooking
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping ease. I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you when you shop through these links.
How to Make Apple Waffles
To make apple waffles, you will need a waffle iron. I prefer the kind that let me know when things are done cooking so I don’t have to guess. This one on Amazon has indicator lights, a “ready” beep, and the waffle plates are removable and dishwasher safe!
- Warm the diced apples in a pan over medium heat. Mix in 1 tsp cinnamon and brown sugar. Let the apples simmer until fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. If you want additional apples for topping, you can repeat this step and set them aside.
- Start to heat your waffle iron when the apples are done cooking.
- Combine the apple mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk into a batter, but do not over mix.
- Generously oil the waffle iron with the coconut oil. I do this after each set of waffles to ensure crispy fried edges.
- Scoop the batter into the wells of the hot waffle iron and cook until it beeps or they are fully cooked and golden brown. Note: the waffles will not spread much so be sure to fill the waffle iron according to how large you want your apple waffles.
- The sugary apples will caramelize a bit more in the waffles while they cook.
- I like to set the waffles on a wire cooling rack while I make the rest, this keeps the edges crispy.
What you don’t enjoy that day can easily be sent to the freezer for easy breakfasts another day. Simply reheat from frozen in the toaster.