These 4th of July Ice Cream Sandwiches made with red and blue colored cookie dough are so festive and patriotic. This cold dessert is perfect for the summer holiday and will be the star of any family party or backyard barbecue.
They are really easy to make and keep well in the freezer. Make them ahead of time to save energy in the kitchen on the day of your party. Enjoy a delicious Fourth of July Ice Cream Sandwich while you watch the fireworks!
This post contains affiliate links.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
It’s so refreshing! Perfect for a hot summer day, you can enjoy these ice cream cookie sandwiches on July 4th or Memorial Day.
It’s made from scratch! These chocolate chip cookies made from scratch are dyed with food coloring to get that red and blue look.
4th of July Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
To make this summer dessert recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- unsalted butter
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- semisweet chocolate chips
- Red food coloring and Blue food coloring
- Vanilla ice cream
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
How to Make Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar about 2 minutes with a handheld electric mixer on medium speed until it is smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until mixed in.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix in until just incorporated. Do not overmix. Add chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Chill dough if it is warm. Divide the dough in half. Now divide only one of the halves in half again. The two smaller sections will be used with the food coloring.
- Put the red food coloring into one of the small sections and mix till incorporated. It is easier to mix it in a bowl. Put the blue food coloring into one the other section and mix till incorporated.
- Taking the uncolored section, place it on a piece of clear plastic wrap and place blue on one side and red on the other. Using the wrap roll into a cylinder and place into the refrigerator to cool for 30 minutes.
- Once the cookies are cooled, take out and slice cookies and place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake the cookies 12-14 minutes, until they are brown around the edges.
- Once cooled, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on one cookie and sandwich it with another cookie.
- Decorate with festive sprinkles. Place into freezer container and store until ready to use.
- Feel free to use your own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, or store-bought cookies if you don’t want to dye the dough.
- Make sure the ice cream is slightly softened but not melted, to make it sure it evenly spreads between two cookies.
Wrap each sandwich individually in parchment paper or plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
More Patriotic 4th of July Desserts
Try these other Fourth of July desserts:
- Red, White and Blue 4th of July Popcorn
- Firecracker Strawberry Pops
- 4th of July Cake Cups with Fruit
- 4th of July Cake in a Jar