These Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins are a delicious breakfast or dessert with a cinnamon crumb topping and sweet glaze.
Coffee cake is one of my favorite breakfast foods. These baked goods are soft and have streusel on top. This crumbly topping is nutty and a little crunchy.
Did you know you can make muffins with sour cream? You can’t taste it and the sour cream makes the muffin super moist.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins Ingredients
To make this sour cream muffin recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Confectioners sugar
How to Make Muffins with Sour Cream
- Prepare the oven and muffin tin. Preheat oven to 350°. Place liners into muffin tin and spray with non stick spray.
- Make the muffin batter. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix together with a spoon. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, then add the sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture and combine but do not over mix.
- Make the streusel topping. In a medium bowl, mix the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, flour and walnuts together. Pour the butter over the mixture and mix. It should form a crumbly mixture.
- Bake the muffins. Spoon muffin mix into liners two-thirds full. Place a couple of spoons of crumb topping on the tops of each muffin. Press down slightly. Add topping evenly till it is all used. Place muffins in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean, they are done. If it doesn’t come out clean, you may need to bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Make the glaze. In a small bowl mix confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk together. Should be runny consistency.
- Serve and enjoy! Remove muffins from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. When cooled, pour icing over the tops.
How Many Muffins Does This Recipe Make?
You can make this recipe in either a large muffin tray or a regular muffin tray. If you use a large tray, this recipe will make 9 large muffins. If you use a regular pan, this recipe will make 12 regular size muffins.
How to Serve Muffins
I love to eat muffins for breakfast, with a big cup of coffee or glass of milk.
They are perfect to eat as is, but feel free to add a slab of warm butter.