Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes are inspired by that delicious summer treat you used to enjoy. Orange candy and orange zest top these amazing cupcakes.
The traditional orange and vanilla flavors are so delicious. If you love orange flavored treats, try my Orange Soda Cake.
This post contains affiliate links.
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes Ingredients
To make this orange cupcake recipe, you will need the following (go to the recipe below for detailed amounts and instructions):
- box white cake mix
- instant vanilla pudding mix
- greek yogurt
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- orange zest
- orange extract
- orange juice
- Orange Gel Coloring
- orange slice candies
Tools Needed to Make Cupcakes
For this recipe you will need a cupcake pan that holds 12 cupcakes. It is best if you have 2 pans, as this recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
You will also need a piping bag to frost the cupcakes.
How to Make Orange Dreamsicle Cupcakes
Making this orange dessert is super easy! Using boxed cake mix to make cupcakes cuts back on measuring and is less messy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two cupcake tins with either liners or spray with non-stick baking spray.
- Make the cupcake mix. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, yogurt, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and water. Using a stand or hand mixer, mix until well combined.
- Bake the cupcakes. Fill each of the cupcake wells about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until tops are turning golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Make the frosting. In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the butter until it’s creamy. Add in the zest, extract and vanilla and then mix together as you slowly add in the powdered sugar. Add in the orange juice.
- Frost the cupcakes and add an orange slice candy on top.
What’s the Difference Between a Creamsicle vs. Dreamsicle?
Creamsicles and Dreamsicles both refer to orange and vanilla flavored ice cream treats. The difference is related to trademarks and branding. (Boring!) Whatever you want to call it these days, this treat will always remind of you of your childhood summers.
Tips for Orange Cupcakes
- If the frosting is too thick, you can add more orange juice until a tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency has been reached.
- If you do not know how to pipe frosting with a piping bag, you can just spread the frosting on with a spoon or knife.