Christmas Tree Pull Apart Bread is filled with a cheesy chicken and bacon filling. Grab yourself a branch of yummy goodness. Fun appetizer for your family Christmas party.
This Christmas pull apart bread uses my chicken bacon ranch skillet dip recipe.
Christmas Tree Pull Apart Bread Ingredients
To make this Christmas appetizer, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Crescent Dough: You can make this recipe with just one can or 2 cans and use the leftover dough to form extra filled rolls. See the recipe tips below on how to make this recipe with 2 cans of dough.
- Cream cheese: I used full fat Philadelphia cream cheese, but you can use reduced fat as well.
- Sour cream
- Spicy Ranch Dip: Hidden Valley is a great choice. If you don’t like things spicy you can use regular ranch dip.
- Canned chicken: Canned chicken is moist and good, but you can substitute any cooked, shredded chicken like a Rotisserie chicken.
- Green chile: these add a delicious spice to the dish, but you can omit them if you don’t like spicy.
- Bacon: you definitely don’t want to omit this!
- Monterey Jack cheese: substitute with any cheese you like.
- Pepper Jack cheese: gives this another bit of spice, but feel free to use another kind if you want.
- Chives: these are milder than green onions. Omit if you prefer.
How to Make Christmas Tree Pull Apart Bread
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, spicy ranch mix, chicken chile, bacon, ¾ cup monterey jack cheese, ¾ cup pepper jack cheese, and 1 Tablespoon chives. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray.
- Unroll can of crescent roll dough onto a piece of wax paper so you have a flat rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, start at the left bottom corner and cut up to the center at the top. Repeat from the other corner. You should have a triangle in the middle and two halves on the sides.
- Carefully remove the side halves and using the parchment lined cookie sheet, place them together to form a large triangle. Pinch the middle seam together.
- Spread the filling all over the triangle. Carefully flip the dough from the wax paper over the other triangle. Discard the wax paper.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut slits down the tree about one inch apart. Don’t cut all the way across so there will be a tree “trunk” to hold the pieces together.
- Pull these pieces outwards a little and twist. You can brush with a little melted butter if you like, then place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until tree has browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives. You can cut some small tomatoes to give tree a little festive look, or serve as is.
Tips for Pull Apart Bread
- I found it easier to use a second can of crescent roll dough and cut triangles like the first. Then use the extra pieces as stuffed rolls by using leftover dip and rolling them up like crescent rolls.
- Don’t overstuff the middle of the tree or everything will melt out, making it look bad. Extra filling/dip can be baked in a separate baking dish at the same time and served on the side.
- You can use whatever you wish to decorate your tree and make it look festive. I like to use grape tomatoes as red ornaments.
How to Serve Pull Apart Bread
You can eat as is or serve with a side of ranch dressing.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.