These easy Chicken Enchiladas are so cheesy and creamy. Soft tortillas are filled with a green chile, sour cream, cheese and chicken mixture, and are baked to perfection in the oven.
This recipe is not spicy at all. The sour cream balances out the green chile perfectly, while still getting that great chile pepper flavor.
This post contains affiliate inks.
Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients
To make this creamy chicken enchiladas recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe below for detailed amounts):
- Chicken breasts: I used two chicken breasts that I had cooked over the stove and cut into cubes. Feel free to quickly cook up chicken breast in an instant pot, use shredded rotisserie chicken or even canned chicken.
- Cream of chicken soup: If you don’t have cream of chicken soup on hand, you can substitute this with cream of mushroom soup.
- Green chiles
- Sour cream: For a healthier option, you can use plain Greek yogurt. I love the tangy sour cream flavor in these enchiladas, though!
- Cheese: I used sharp cheddar cheese, but feel free to use your favorite cheese. Some great options are a mild cheddar, shredded mozzarella, Colby jack, or even pepper jack cheese.
- Tortillas: I used an 8-inch flour tortilla for this recipe. You can also use corn tortillas if you prefer the taste of the corn tortilla. If you only have 4-inch tortillas available, you can fill them and lay them in 2 columns instead of just one. You will need double the amount of tortillas if you are using the smaller tortillas.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Enchiladas from Scratch
Making Mexican enchiladas with chicken is as easy as mixing all the ingredients and throwing in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients. Combine cream of chicken soup, green chiles, and sour cream and stir. Measure out 1 cup and set aside.
- Fill the tortillas. Add in chicken to remaining mixture and stir to combine. Divide mixture evenly and spoon inside tortillas (about ¼ cup per tortilla). Sprinkle cheese into each tortilla before rolling it up and place it into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Top off the enchiladas. Evenly spread set aside sauce over the top of the tortillas and sprinkle on remaining cheese (~1 cup).
- Bake the enchiladas. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling.
- Garnish with optional chopped cilantro and serve. Enjoy!
You are free to leave your Mexican chicken enchiladas recipe as is, or substitute ingredients that you may have available. Some options include adding in:
- Cream cheese
- Refried beans
- You can replace the chicken with steak, your favorite cut of beef, ham, turkey, etc.
- Some optional garnishes include: cilantro, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, additional sour cream, and guacamole.
Storage Instructions for Chicken Enchiladas
You can store your chicken enchiladas in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
These also freeze well. You can freeze them for up to 3 months for best quality. Make sure that it is stored in an airtight container.