Make this cute Air Fryer Gingerbread House to get in the holiday spirit! This sweet, spiced cookie recipe is easy to make and perfect for decorating at Christmas.
Have leftover dough? Make these cute Gingerbread Man Cookies.
Gingerbread House Ingredients
To make this easy gingerbread house recipe, you will need the following (scroll down to the recipe below for exact amounts and variations):
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup: Traditional gingerbread uses molasses, but corn syrup makes it taste sweeter. You can substitute molasses if that is your preference.
- Spices: cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves
- Baking soda
- Salted butter
Free Gingerbread House Template
This recipe makes a small gingerbread house. Small houses are easier to make, so if this is your first time making a gingerbread house, you will want to use this template.
To make things easy, I have created THIS FREE TEMPLATE for you to print out and use as a guide. Here are the dimensions if you do not have a printer:
Main Walls: 5″ wide, 3.75″ tall, angled roof is 3.5″
Side Walls: 5″ wide, 3.75″ tall
Roof: 5″ wide, 3.5″ tall
How to Make a Gingerbread House in an Air Fryer
For this recipe, you will need an air fryer.
- Make the dough. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and baking soda. Continue to mix until the dough is smooth. Slowly add in the flour and water, until the dough becomes thicker. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut out the cookie pieces. Remove the dough from wrap, and roll to be about 1/4 inch thick. Using a knife, cut out Gingerbread House pieces using the template.
- Bake the cookies. Place shapes on a small piece of parchment paper that fits in the basket. Do not let the pieces overlap, and fold the parchment paper under around the edges. Otherwise, the paper can flap onto the cookies and cause them to lose shape. Cook at 370 degrees for 5-7 minutes, depending on the thickness and size of cookie shapes.
- Decorate and enjoy!
Can I Make a Gingerbread House in an Oven Instead?
Make the dough following the instructions above. Place shapes on a lightly sprayed baking sheet. Freeze for about 10 minutes, then put into the oven at 375 degrees. Bake for about 13-15 minutes. Let pieces cool completely before trying to assemble or frost.
The Gourmia Air Fryer has a sleek design and quick buttons that are super helpful!
Tips for Making Gingerbread
- If you use molasses, the cookies aren’t as sweet.
- Using corn syrup makes the cookies a lighter color, so if you want darker dough, use dark corn syrup or molasses.
- If you want your house to have windows and doors, cut those out before adding to the air fryer. I find it easier to just draw windows and doors on with icing.
- Store them in a Ziploc bag and they will stay fresh for 2-3 weeks.
How to Decorate a Gingerbread House
Use frosting as the glue to hold any candies onto the house. There are so many options when it comes to decoration gingerbread houses. It is totally up to your imagination! Here are some ideas for what you could using to decorate your gingerbread house:
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate chips
- candy canes