Pumpkin Cannoli is a surprisingly delicious fall spin on an Italian classic. Cannoli are dipped in chocolate and stuffed with a pumpkin and chocolate chip filling.
This post contains affiliate links.
Pumpkin Cannoli Ingredients
To make this pumpkin dessert recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Canned pumpkin: Since we are adding seasoning to the filling, we use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. Canned pumpkin pie filling has seasoning already added and, in our opinion, it’s just not as tasty.
- Cream Cheese
- Ricotta Cheese
- Confectioners powdered sugar: Be sure to sift the powdered sugar, otherwise the filling could have lumps.
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini Cannoli Shells: available from grocery stores like Wegman’s and Whole Foods and also from Amazon. They are also available in specialty food stores, if one is in your area.
- Chocolate melting wafers
How to Make Cannolis with Pumpkin Filling
- Drain the pumpkin and ricotta in separate bowls for at least 15-20 minutes before starting to prepare your filling. To drain, simply use a small bowl and a piece of cheesecloth or, in a pinch, a paper towel and set the pumpkin or ricotta onto the cheesecloth and let the moisture drain into the bowl. Discard any liquid from the pumpkin and ricotta. Draining the pumpkin and ricotta is an important step and will help the filling to have a nice smooth consistency.
- While the pumpkin and ricotta are draining, dip the cannoli shell edges in chocolate. This is optional, but a very tasty addition! Add the melting wafers to a small bowl and melt them in the microwave slowly, at 10-20 second increments. Stir the chocolate after each increment. Once melted, dip each end of the cannoli shell and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate the shells to solidify the chocolate while you mix the filling.
- Beat the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl with a hand mixer till smooth. Then, add the pumpkin, ricotta, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla and mix slightly. Add the sifted powdered sugar and mix again to combine. Add the mini chocolate chips to the bowl and fold in with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Fill a piping bag with the filling and trim the end of the piping bag and you are ready to fill your cannoli. Make sure the end of the piping bag is large enough for the chocolate chips to flow easily through the opening and not clog. Twist the end of the bag to remove the air and close the bag. Holding the bag in one hand and a cannoli shell in the other, squeeze the bag to pipe the filling into the shell. Turn the shell and fill the other half of the cannoli.
- Dust with sifted powered sugar.
Tips on How to Pipe a Cannoli
If you do not own piping bags, you can also use a zip lock bag and cut one of the bottom corners. They substitute quite well!
When filling the piping bag or ziplock bag, use a glass or mason jar and fold the opening over the glass/jar. This makes for easy filling and you can push the filling down to remove some of the air with a spoon.