Add a game-changing twist to the classic Chicken Noodle Soup by using cheese tortellini. This creamy chicken tortellini soup is so delicious and will warm you right up. It is full of chopped veggies and savory spices, with a splash of wine.
Chicken Tortellini Soup Ingredients
To make this chicken soup recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- garlic cloves
- basil leaves
- oregano leaves
- cheese tortellini
- kidney beans
- cream of chicken soup
- chicken broth
- dry vermouth or white wine
How to Make The Best Creamy Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Chop all your vegetables and set aside. Save celery tops.
- Add 3 cans of chicken broth to a large pot. I use a Lodge 6 Qt. Dutch Oven. Add celery tops, some sliced onion, salt and pepper, and 2 chicken breasts to pot. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. This process adds flavor to the chicken while it is cooking.
- While chicken is cooking, melt butter in a large pan. Simmer chopped veggies and garlic for 30 minutes.
- Remove celery tops and onion and discard. Remove chicken. Chop or shred chicken into bite size pieces.
- Add vegetables and cut chicken to large pot with broth. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer 35-40 min.
You can use any variety of tortellini that you want for this recipe. I choose to use a 3-cheese tortellini for the ultimate creaminess factor. A tomato and pesto tortellini or a spinach tortellini would also be delicious in the recipe.
If your soup is too thick, that means it doesn’t have enough liquid. It is very easy to make your soup runnier or “soupier.” All you have to do to make your soup less thick is add more canned chicken broth until the thickness is to your liking. Make sure to heat the soup on the stove for a longer amount of time if you add more broth at the end.
It is best to NOT freeze soup that contains pasta. Reheating the tortellini will cause it to become mushy. If you are wanting to freeze this soup, cook it without the tortellini and add cooked tortellini when you are ready to eat.