Butter Chicken Meatballs are not your average meatball. Tender, curry seasoned meatballs are baked, then added to a butter curry sauce. Serve with rice and Naan for a delicious and flavorful meal.
Butter Chicken Meatballs Ingredients
To make this Indian meatballs recipe, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Ground chicken or turkey
- Egg: whisk it so it will mix in easy
- Panko: regular
- Olive oil: this helps keep the meatballs moist
- Cilantro: great for flavor
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heavy cream: you can use yoghurt or Greek yoghurt if you want
- Butter: salted or unsalted
- Yellow onion: or white
- Ginger: use fresh and grate it finely
- Jalapeno: you can use a green chili from the Indian store if you want
- Coriander: use ground or fresh grind some
- Garlic: fresh minced
- Yellow curry powder: a must for this dish
- Garam masala: you can find this in any Indian store or on Amazon
- Coconut milk: use canned full fat coconut milk
- Tumeric: for the flavor
- Chicken stock
How to Make Chicken Meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the meatball ingredients except the ground chicken. Mix well to combine. Add the ground chicken and mix just to combine without overmixing.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out meatballs and roll into balls, then place on the parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then check for doneness. If needed, cook for an additional minute up to 5 minutes.
How to Make Butter Chicken Sauce
- In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add the onion, ginger, jalapeno and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and brown for another minute. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and stir well. Let this simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream or yoghurt and the butter and let the butter melt.
- Stir to combine and add the meatballs. Let this simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Don’t overmix the ground chicken meatballs so they don’t get dry.
Olive oil is optional, but it helps keep the meatballs moist.
Serve this with rice, salad and Naan for a complete meal.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.