Spiced sweet potato oatmeal muffins are the perfect fall breakfast or side dish. These versatile muffins are savory and sweet, and are made with fall spices like cinnamon and allspice.
Sweet Potato Muffins Ingredients
To make this healthy muffin recipe, you will need the following (go to the recipe below for detailed amounts and instructions):
- old fashioned oats
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- sweet potatoes
How to Make Oatmeal Muffins with Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Wash, peel, cut and cook the sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender. You can boil about 20 minutes, or roast them.
- Combine all of the ingredients together, adding the milk slowly to make sure you have enough. You will want the mixture to be soupy, as the extra liquid will be absorbed by the oats and is needed to help them cook during the baking process.
- Spoon the mix into the muffin pan. An ice cream scoop is a great tool for this step. This helps give you consistent sizing.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the muffins. The oats should look visibly plumped and the muffins should hold perfectly together when fully cooked.
- Let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Are Sweet Potatoes The Same Thing as Yams?
These two root vegetables are often mistaken for each other. Honestly, I didn’t even know what the difference was until I started buying them for myself.
The short answer is no, they are not the same, but stores commonly claim to sell both when, in fact, you are just buying different colored sweet potatoes.
They have the same shape and can be the same color, but grow in different parts of the world. Unless you are purchasing in a specialty store, you probably do not need to worry if you accidentally buy a “yam” instead of a sweet potato for this recipe.
Can I Freeze Muffins?
Muffins can be frozen to save for later. If you want to freeze muffins, make sure they are 100% cool before freezing so they don’t become frost burnt. They will last a couple of months in the freezer.