Making fried donuts at home is easier than you might think. These cinnamon sugar donuts and donut holes are better than store bought!
Every time you cut out a doughnut from the dough, you also keep the middles to make doughnut holes. So this recipe makes a total of 40 doughnuts – 20 3” donuts and 20 donut holes.
What You Need for Homemade Donuts
To make this easy doughnut recipe, you will need the following (go to the recipe below for detailed amounts and instructions):
- sour cream
- whole milk
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vegetable oil for frying
How to Make Donuts
- Mix all ingredients, except for oil, cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Pat out dough on floured board and roll out to 1/2” thick. Cut donuts and holes using a 3” cutter and 1 1/2” cutter, or a 2-in-1 donut cutter.
- Fry donuts. Add 2 inches of oil to pan. Heat cooking oil to 375°. Add donuts and donut holes to oil. When donuts are light golden, turn with wooden spoon and repeat on flip side.
- Let cool. Cool slightly on paper towel.
- Make cinnamon sugar. Combine cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar in shallow dish. Toss doughnuts in cinnamon sugar mixture.
Tips for Making Donuts
- I recommend using an electric skillet, deep fryer, or deep pan to make doughnuts.
- Use a candy thermometer to measure the heat of the.
- The darker the donut, the tougher the texture.
- You can also eat the doughnuts plain.