Hot Chocolate Cookies are gooey, chocolaty, sweet, and soft. Cocoa powder and marshmallows make these cookies taste just like hot cocoa!
If you love recipes that taste like hot chocolate, try my Hot Chocolate Pancakes.
This post contains affiliate links.
Hot Chocolate Cookies Ingredients
To make marshmallow cookies, you will need the following ingredients (see the recipe card below for exact amounts):
- Salted butter: If you decide to use unsalted butter, make sure you add an extra pinch of salt.
- Granulated white sugar: Feel free to switch this out for brown sugar, or another type of sugar if you are feeling adventurous, though I cannot guarantee results.
- Sour cream: You can substitute cream cheese or plain Greek yogurt for similar results.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Hot chocolate mix: We did not use the hot chocolate mix that has marshmallows in it. However, if you want to try a fancier hot chocolate mix that has different flavors, that sounds like fun!
- Baking soda
- Mini marshmallows
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: You can replace these with milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips instead.
Special Tools Needed
I never make cookies without these items:
Cookie scoop: I used a 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop.
Measuring cups and measuring spoons
Cookie sheet and parchment paper
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cookies with Marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Use a mixer to beat the salted butter, granulated white sugar, and sour cream together until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Beat in the eggs and then set the mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, hot chocolate mix, and baking soda together.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in mini marshmallows and all of the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Use a 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough into balls and drop them on the prepared sheet pan 2-inches apart from each other. Make sure there aren’t any marshmallows exposed on the cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges have set. Let cool for 10 minutes before plating and serving.
Store these cookies in an airtight container or bag, at room temperature, for 6-7 days. These will also freeze well if kept in an airtight, freezer-safe container and keep for a few months.
Because these cookies have marshmallows in them, they can get a little messy in the oven. I would recommend making sure the marshmallows are on the inside of the cookie dough balls as you scoop them out and place them on the cookie sheet. Any marshmallow that is on the outside will melt and cause a little mess. You can just poke it into the ball and smooth dough over the top to prevent the mess.
The marshmallows that you place on top of the cookies will work okay, but they may slide off the cookie. If you really want to make them look nice, wait till there is about 3 minutes left on the bake time before adding the marshmallows on top.