Looking for the best 4th of July desserts? These cookies are made with red and blue M&M’s and sprinkled with red, white, and blue stars. Our favorite 4th of July cookies with a red, white, and blue theme!
These festive cookies are loaded with flavor and are made with peanut butter, cinnamon and chocolate. YUM!
Fourth of July Cookie Ingredients
To make this Fourth of July dessert recipe, you will need the following ingredients (scroll down to the recipe card below for the full recipe):
- Butter: always use unsalted butter when baking unless the recipe specifies salted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Sugar: you will use both brown sugar and granulated sugar in this sweet cookie recipe
- Peanut butter
- Red and blue M&Ms
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles
- Chocolate chips
- Egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda: the necessary ingredients for baking cookies
How to Make Red, White and Blue Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the ingredients. Cream the butter and sugars together in a medium sized bowl using a hand mixer. Once you have a creamy texture, add the vanilla, egg, and peanut butter. Mix well. In a separate bowl blend together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder with a whisk. Pour the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet mixture. Use a wooden spoon to mix all ingredients well, about 1 minute.
- Add the fun stuff. Add the M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate chips and continue to blend with the spoon.
- Prepare a baking sheet. Using a scoop, add 2 inch balls of cookie dough to the sheet and separate them by a few inches.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. Press down with the back of a spoon one minute before removing them from the oven. Continue to bake.
- Cool the cookies. Remove the cookies from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool for a minute before placing them on a wire cooling rack.
Tips for Patriotic Cookies
If you want the cookies to have extra M&M’s and sprinkles, add a few to the tops right after they come out of the oven and press down gently.
This recipe originally called for a 1/2 cup of quick oats, but it ended up being too much “stuff” and the dough was crumbly before it even got baked. You can add them back in, just know you may have to pack the dough into balls before baking so they stay together.